Characters | Teen Ink

Characters

By CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other
CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." --Douglas Adams

"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." --Marcus Aurelius

Have you ever wondered why your perfect plans are shattered? Why a seemingly perfect romance ended? Why good luck strikes at strange times? Why life seems like a bunch of meaningless chaos?

There is a very simple answer to all of these questions. We were created by an ancient race of aliens and are nothing but characters in their stories, created to alleviate their boredom.

As soon as they are old enough to write, they are given a computer software program and a manual with only the most basic rules of their writing universe. In order to create a new character, they must collaborate with other aliens to make sure two human parents give birth to a child. This child will be under their control from the moment it is born until the moment it dies.

You are always subject to the whims of your creator. Everything you say, everything you do is controlled by them. Usually, the aliens have jotted down things they want to happen during your lifetime. But some aliens detest this and make random decisions as to where your life will go. This is where chaos comes from.

Our planet is relatively new, but the aliens have become bored with it. The best writers among them have declared that the Earth is a cliché, boring universe. They have decided they want to write in a new, more exciting world, so they have taken a special vote. It was this vote that decided how our world will end.

“Why don’t we let a black hole swallow their planet?”

“Nah, we’ve done that already.”

“What if the Earth spontaneously combusts?”

“That’s way too cliché!”

“Okay, why don’t we knock their planet out of orbit and send it crashing into the sun?”

“That’s a stupid idea.”

“Fine. How about we give all their world leaders bad cases of paranoia and see what happens?”

“Sure. Why not?”

And so, our world will not end with a bang, but with slow decay. Our increasingly paranoid world leaders will declare war on each other and humanity will slowly die out. But, since the aliens lost all interest in us, we have gained something we never had before: free will. It is now up to us to decide our fates—and the fate of our planet.

This was just a random idea that sprang into my head a few days ago. Feedback is greatly appreciated!

on Aug. 27 2011 at 7:42 pm
CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Thank you! :)

on Aug. 27 2011 at 10:25 am

Wow this is really good.

I like your idea. It's very interesting to see life this way. When I was younger I thought that we were all dolls and we were controlled by aliens, haha.

I laughed when I read this and I rarely laugh when I read. Clever, haha!

on Aug. 25 2011 at 1:43 pm
CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Thank you very much! :)

on Aug. 25 2011 at 12:31 pm
Josie_Jo BRONZE, Brooklyn, New York

Oh, haha. This is interesting. :) I love your writing style. You captured my attention from the beginning. I see nothing wrong with this. Your perspective of the world is very unique.

Great job! You have a lot of writing talent within you.

on Aug. 23 2011 at 8:57 pm
CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Thanks for commenting! :)

on Aug. 23 2011 at 8:56 pm
dancemaniac GOLD, Mansfield, Texas
soooo clever! i love your dry humorsprinkled throughout the piece...its exciting, creative, and interesting! Keep writing!!

on Aug. 22 2011 at 6:51 pm
CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Thanks!  :)  Did you mean 'encore'?

on Aug. 22 2011 at 4:20 pm
Tongue_Blep PLATINUM, ????, Ohio
ONCHOR ONCHOR!!!! Great job!!! :)(:

on Aug. 17 2011 at 11:10 pm
CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Wow, thank you very much for favouriting my story!  :)  I'm glad you enjoyed it.

on Aug. 17 2011 at 10:35 pm
BreeTayler PLATINUM, Carlisle, Arkansas

"Where there is love there is life." --Ghandi

Haha! This is a masterpeice! The theory itself was humorous, but the dry humor that swallowed this passage was completely original! I do believe sarcasm is a writers best friend lol I laughed hard at this one ... Highly creative. And if an idea like this can just pop into your head... I'm jeleous. (never could spell that word) But I LOVED IT, it was terribly entertaining..... And it is now tagged as one of my favorites:)

HudaZav SILVER said...
on Aug. 17 2011 at 1:46 pm
HudaZav SILVER, Toronto, Other

"Nothing is impossible; the word itself says 'I'm possible'!" -Audrey Hepburn

Ahh, I see.    X)   Well, anyways, nice work.

on Aug. 17 2011 at 1:45 pm
CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

I'm on lunch break. :)  Then I have to work until suppertime.  I'm not always on Teen Ink!

HudaZav SILVER said...
on Aug. 17 2011 at 1:44 pm
HudaZav SILVER, Toronto, Other

Well, we mean it in a good way.   =)  And you replied fast.   XD

on Aug. 17 2011 at 1:43 pm
CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Thank you!  A lot of people have said it's 'different'. :)

HudaZav SILVER said...
on Aug. 17 2011 at 1:42 pm
HudaZav SILVER, Toronto, Other

Lol, this is very different. But I love it. I was reading the beginning thinking: Wow, this might be a very well-researched article. But then I read the second paragraph, and I was...surprised. But this is very different and imaginative, five stars!   *****

on Aug. 15 2011 at 10:11 pm
CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Um...thanks?  Is interesting code for 'terrible'?

on Aug. 15 2011 at 9:45 pm
CallMeMrs.Batman SILVER, Moreno Valley, California

"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to our enemies, but a great deal more to stand up to our friends."
-Professor Dumbledore to Harry Potter
"What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger."
-Unknown

This is an.... interesting... theory. Lol. Great job! Fantastic imagination! haha. :)

on Aug. 15 2011 at 7:16 pm
CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Thank you! :)

Emily.L GOLD said...
on Aug. 15 2011 at 2:43 pm
Emily.L GOLD, Gilbert, Arizona

"Sometimes, we just have to be happy with what people can offer us. Even if it's not what we want, at least it's something. " -Sarah Dessen

I loved this! It actually made me laugh :)

on Aug. 15 2011 at 1:16 pm
CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Thank you for taking the time to read it! :)