Characters | Teen Ink

Characters

By CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other
CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." --Douglas Adams

"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." --Marcus Aurelius

Have you ever wondered why your perfect plans are shattered? Why a seemingly perfect romance ended? Why good luck strikes at strange times? Why life seems like a bunch of meaningless chaos?

There is a very simple answer to all of these questions. We were created by an ancient race of aliens and are nothing but characters in their stories, created to alleviate their boredom.

As soon as they are old enough to write, they are given a computer software program and a manual with only the most basic rules of their writing universe. In order to create a new character, they must collaborate with other aliens to make sure two human parents give birth to a child. This child will be under their control from the moment it is born until the moment it dies.

You are always subject to the whims of your creator. Everything you say, everything you do is controlled by them. Usually, the aliens have jotted down things they want to happen during your lifetime. But some aliens detest this and make random decisions as to where your life will go. This is where chaos comes from.

Our planet is relatively new, but the aliens have become bored with it. The best writers among them have declared that the Earth is a cliché, boring universe. They have decided they want to write in a new, more exciting world, so they have taken a special vote. It was this vote that decided how our world will end.

“Why don’t we let a black hole swallow their planet?”

“Nah, we’ve done that already.”

“What if the Earth spontaneously combusts?”

“That’s way too cliché!”

“Okay, why don’t we knock their planet out of orbit and send it crashing into the sun?”

“That’s a stupid idea.”

“Fine. How about we give all their world leaders bad cases of paranoia and see what happens?”

“Sure. Why not?”

And so, our world will not end with a bang, but with slow decay. Our increasingly paranoid world leaders will declare war on each other and humanity will slowly die out. But, since the aliens lost all interest in us, we have gained something we never had before: free will. It is now up to us to decide our fates—and the fate of our planet.

This was just a random idea that sprang into my head a few days ago. Feedback is greatly appreciated!

JAyalaValles BRONZE, Vinton, Texas
1 article 0 photos 1 comment
I really like the dialogue. It was shocking when the aliens said that some of the ways to destroy the earth were boring or overdone. I'd say you should add more to the story. it is a fun read but it feels very short lived

on Jan. 5 2022 at 8:56 am
Maryam---مريم SILVER, Glasgow, Other

"Aren’t all these notes the senseless writhings of a man who won’t accept the fact that there is nothing we can do with suffering except to suffer it?" - C. S. Lewis

Interesting reflection - although fiction it makes one think about why things are the way they are. I absolutely disagree that its to alleviate extra-terrestrials' boredom :) A nice story though

TessaDreamAuthor_3000 PLATINUM, Tomball, Texas

"The way I see it, if you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain." - Dolly Parton
" Balance your life with spiritual experiences that remind and prepare you for continued, daily ministering to others." - M. Russell Ballard
"Love is expressed in a smile, a wave, a kind comment, a compliment." - Thomas S. Monson

Haha, I liked the ending part:
"Sure. Why not?"

DanteT6 said...
DanteT6, Arizona, Arizona
I like this story because it gives amounts of humor with fiction. You get to see and think of the ways this could be happening. Some of the details are left out which is great because for me it helps me imagine it myself more and see what I want to see with a mix of what the author has made for us.

Bella_Queen DIAMOND, Plymouth, Ohio

Keep your face always toward the sunshine and shadows will fall behind you.
-Walt Whitman

I usually don't like stories about aliens, but this was really creative, and interesting! Nice work:)

on Feb. 7 2019 at 10:38 am
KameronAldana BRONZE, Guadalajara, Other
Loved it!

Hiroshima SILVER, Raeford, North Carolina

Perseverance is not one long race, but many short races one after the other
-Walter Elliott

I LOVE THIS

on Nov. 22 2018 at 12:14 am
_Emma_Lynn_ SILVER, Hemet, California

When something bad happens, you have three choices: let it define you, let it destroy you, or let it strengthen you.

This is honestly the greatest thing ever. Creative and interesting.

on Oct. 4 2018 at 11:06 am
kalthedreamer SILVER, Little River, South Carolina

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone.

Rose Kennedy

Laughable and honestly, very intriguing

Hermione-Granger BRONZE, Bethel Park, Pennsylvania
OMG I LOVE THIS!!! It made me laugh so hard!

on Aug. 6 2017 at 11:48 am
nothing_gold GOLD, Potomac, Maryland

"Everything's science fiction until someone makes it science fact." -Warcross, Marie Lu

Wow, this is such a creative concept and I daresay the aliens' plans are coming true...

MaryGarter GOLD, Lawson, Other

"A ship is safe in the harbour but, that's not what ships are built for."

This story is amazing. Make it longer! I'd love to read more of it.

BeyondDreamsandGraveyards BRONZE, Savannah, Georgia

"All was well"

I actually think this has a lot of potential. I know this is just an idea that you had but what if you made the aliens have a conflict that influences a humans conflict? You know, sort of like playing doll's house but with serious consequences and it gives a lot of room to play around with character development and other life "big" questions. You can even mock them, if that's your thing.

ThrillQueen126, Seattle, Washington
It's kind of fun to think that I'm controlled by an alien. Whatever I do, it's not my fault!!!

hhhjjhh said...
hhhjjhh, Yuuuuuu, Massachusetts
This article made me laugh! I love your concept of how aliens decide the outcome of the world. This would be such an awesome, award-winning story idea. I can imagine the scene where the aliens are sitting at their computers, discussing their plans. I've added this article to my list of favorites!

Funne GOLD said...
Funne GOLD, Cleveland, Ohio

"I never ask a man what his business is, for it never interests me. What I ask him about are his thoughts and dreams."

-H.P Lovecraft

Well, Its apparent that the decay of earth is eminent, so... We need to go to some other planet. NOW!!

dragon7781 BRONZE, Brooklyn, New York

"What does it matter?"

Interesting. Reminds me of an episode on Unsealed: Alien Files show, where humanity is actually being controlled by an Alien computer. It also reminds me of the Matrix, only with aliens instead of machines. Overall, an interesting idea.

ashlynnnicole BRONZE, Bonneau, South Carolina
1 article 0 photos 1 comment
This is interesting but cliche. Everyone talks about us being characters in books or dolls or a show for God- this isn't specifically original, just a twist on a widely exercised topic of thought that they decided to submit. By the way, check out my story please! Go on my account... the title is "I Am You". It is Science Fiction.

jimi211 said...
on Oct. 13 2014 at 10:52 am
jimi211, Las Vegas, Nevada
CarrieAnn13, you had a good concept going, but I think Molly,Jane was right, it is a little cheesy. To further add to it, though you did a good job at making the end morbid, by the climax I felt there still wasn't really any substance.

Critic said...
Critic, Hades, District Of Columbia

It is better to die as a god than to live as a human.

It's funny how easy it is to believe in the existence of ancient aliens who use the same technology (computer software programs) that we do and yet the presence of a god (or God) seems downright implausible. The key question that should be asked with this story is: "Which is worse, having free will or being manipulated like so many marionettes on a master string?" From the tone of your work and comments I feel like you would prefer a relaxed enslavement over laborous freedom.