Death by the Devil | Teen Ink

Death by the Devil

By Were-Hunter BRONZE, Centre Hall, Pennsylvania
Were-Hunter BRONZE, Centre Hall, Pennsylvania

"How do you know the difference between love and infatuation?" "I don't think there is a difference. I think infatuation is like a garden. If tended and cared for, it grows into a garden. If neglected or abused it dies. The only way to ...have eternal love is to never let your heart forget what it's like to live without it." - Vane Kattalakis, Night Play by Sherrilyn Kenyon

“Where is he?” She bellows at me. I know that I cannot tell her where he is, she will surely take him to that horrible place I call hell. He deserves better than that. He saved me. And now it’s my turn to save him. I can’t tell her where he is. I promised.
“Where is he? I don’t want to kill you, but if you don’t tell me where he is, then I have no choice but to kill you.”
I can’t! I won’t! I don’t care if it means my life. They can’t find him if I’m dead. I’m the only one who knows where he is. I shake my head “no”. I can’t see her through my tear filled eyes. I am so scared, but I’ll take his secret to the grave with me.
“Please Becca. I don’t want to kill! Just tell me where he is, and I’ll let you go.” She pleads with me. I know that she doesn’t want to kill me. We were childhood friends; I can’t believe it came to this.
Again I shake my head “no”. I want to live so badly, but the love I have for him is stronger than the urge to live.
“I gave you the option, and this is what you chose!” It’s not a question. I can see in her sapphire eyes, they are filled with tears. I know that it will kill her to do this, but it is her job to find him, and I’m just another obstacle.
I see her body and face morph and change. Her face elongates and her body grows large and massive. She is covered in a black fur. I stare into the eyes of a killer; a low growl escapes her lips. She circles me; I hear her feet leave the ground. There is another fierce growl, but it is not hers; it is his. There is a sharp pain in my head.
Everything went black. . .

“Rebecca Grace Larkin! Get in this house now!” My mother yells into the setting sun, trying desperately to get me to come back.
My mother and I had just been in a fight over whether or not I was going to Miss Susan Berry’s Refinery School for Girls. I refused to go, but my mother is very stubborn, and there’s no use in talking to her when she gets that way. So I stormed out the door and into the cornfield behind our small rural home in Hackney, Montana.
Since we moved here, when I was seven, I’ve been running off into the cornfield behind our house. I’m not sure why, but I do know that no one can find me, and that’s why I run to it. My mother hates it when I do that. Just another excuse to ship me off to New York. She could go on and on about why I need to go to that prison.
“Rebecca! If you don’t come back to this house right now, I’m going to call your father!” What was I? Three years old? I’m 16 for crying out loud! My father doesn’t scare me anymore. It’s pathetic what my parents will do when they’re upset.
“Rebecca!” My mother’s calls were beginning to fade as I walked deeper and deeper into the cornfield.
I don’t know where I’m going. Anywhere but here sounds like heaven to me right now. This cornfield is over 100 acres long; I’m not going back anytime soon. I continue to walk into the cornfield. Before I realize it, I can’t see my hand in front of my face. It’s early August and the night came unseasonably fast.
There’s no other choice for me right now; I lay down right where I’m standing and curl into a ball. It takes me a while, but I eventually fall asleep.
When I wake it’s still dark out. It takes me a while to realize that what woke me up was a noise. I can feel my heart race and I try to breathe quietly, but my efforts go up in flames when I see a huge black creature circle me.
The animal growls once and then comes closer to me. I can see that it is a wolf. This wolf is different though. The wolf was much larger than the Timber Wolves we have in Montana. He was absolutely huge, almost as big as a small horse.
That wasn’t the only thing that made this wolf different from normal wolves. His eyes were a deep sapphire blue; they had a depth to them. His coat was raven black and his eyes stood out.
The wolf looked at me and whimpered. He was upset about something. He continued to stare into my eyes; and then he was gone.

When I woke up the next day, I was sure what I saw was a dream. Why would a wolf leave me alive? But something inside my head told me it wasn’t a dream, that he was real.
I looked down at the ground and there was a lock a black fur. It was as smooth as silk and raven black. This confirmed my suspicions; I wasn’t dreaming. Something rustled near me. I sat frozen, afraid of what it might be.
“Becca! Becca where are you?” Somebody was calling me, and I relaxed a bit. “Becca!”
I recognized the voice; it was the voice of my best friend Emily Dower. I was relieved that it wasn’t my mother.
“I’m here Emily!” I called after her and stood up. The corn stalks were taller than me. I could hear her running towards me. Then out of the corn Emily appeared, she looked more than relieved to find me. Her long black hair was pulled up into a messy ponytail. Her sapphire blue eyes stood out on her pale skin. She was very tall and thin. She looked nothing like her parents. Some people thought that she was adopted.
“For God’s sake Bec! What were you thinking?!” She was definitely happy to find me, but she was also extremely mad at me as well. Emily had always been like the big sister that I never had, but always wanted. She was three years older than I was, but we clicked the second we met.
Emily was heading off to college in a few weeks and I didn’t know what I was going to do when she was gone. She was going to a college in Alaska, I’m not sure what she was going to major in.
“Emm, settle down. I’m fine, and was coming home in a little bit. Mom and I got into a fight and I ran. I’m sorry I worried you.” And I really was sorry. It hurt me to see Emily upset like this.
“It’s okay. I’m just glad that you’re safe. Come on, we need to go back.” We started walking back towards Emily’s house.
As we were walking something hit me. I realized that the wolf’s eye’s reminded me of Emily’s. I bet that if it was a person, it’d look just like her. I peeked up at Emily, and couldn’t help a sinking feeling that I felt when I looked at her. I couldn’t put my finger on it, but there was something different about her.
When we walked into Emily’s kitchen I got the usual scolding. I was used to this, because I’ve ran away so many other times before. There was nothing new. I was grounded of course, but what else can they do?
My parents and I headed back to our house, and I was still trying to figure out what was different about Emily. Something just didn’t feel right.

I started this piece two years ago. I have had a writer's block with it for a while. I'm hoping that by reading more I will become inspired to write more to the story.

Lovestonedloser GOLD, Orlando, Florida

If your always looking down, you'll never see the beauty of the stars.

This is really great :). Comment some of mine please?

Thanks! I do plan on continuing it. :)

on Jan. 27 2010 at 11:48 am
alchive PLATINUM, Fort Worth, Texas

The best cure for writer's block is...to write

very good ending-such a surprise. and I love how you didn't actually say it. are you going to continue? i think you could/should

KK2013 GOLD said...
KK2013 GOLD, Solon, Ohio

Age is foolish and forgetful when it underestimates youth.-J. K. Rowling

ohmy goodness! thats very creepy! at first i was confused because i didnt know how the first part connected, but now i get it it!! very good job.