A Blood Promise | Teen Ink

A Blood Promise

January 19, 2010
By Lovestonedloser GOLD, Orlando, Florida
Lovestonedloser GOLD, Orlando, Florida
17 articles 0 photos 65 comments

Favorite Quote:
If your always looking down, you'll never see the beauty of the stars.


We sat at the small night stand in his bedroom; the smell of vanilla candles filled the air as the luminescence of the candles danced around our features. Between us was a small plastic bowl and a small sterling silver dagger. Directly across from me sat my best friend Christian, with his chocolate brown hair blending in with the darkness of our surroundings, and his bright blue eyes glimmering off the candle light he looked absolutely gorgeous. I wondered what he saw when looking across at me, a plain girl with brown eyes and jet black hair. A girl of nothing special but he still seemed to want me as a best friend.
“Are you sure you want to do this?” he asked concerned as he locked his eyes on mine, he slowly reached into the bowl and took the small dagger, turning it over countless times in his hands.
“I do” I breathed out staring at the cold silver in his palm.
“But wont your parents ask what happened?”
“I’ll wear gloves” I stated as I looked down at my palm “They wont notice until its gone”
He sighed and seemed to be hesitant in his approach. We’d been planning this for the last couple weeks. His parents wouldn’t be home until I was long gone so they wouldn’t catch us. “We don’t….We don’t have to, to be best friends you know?”
I sighed and nodded “I know” I stared into his eyes, a long ocean of passion and the fire I’ve always admired about him “but I want to do this Chris”
He nodded and held out his hand. With a quick swipe the blood flowed from his hand and dripped over into the bowl. The smell of the blood filled the warm atmosphere and he handed me the now bloody dagger “your turn”
I gulped softly, not loud enough for him to head and squeezed the dagger in my hand, I brought the tip to my skin and closed my eyes tight. Without further hesitation I slid the long blade over my palm and felt the sharp searing pain across it. And when I reopened my eyes the blood now dripped off my own hand. I hurried and brought my hand to lay next to his. Our blood dripping in synchronization into the bowl.
He smiled slightly at me and moved his hand over, palm down so that our bloody wounds married with each other. the contact stung but I kept a straight face. This was what I wanted.
“Now” he breathed out as he laced our fingers together “Now we’ll always be with each other”. I mirrored his gentle smile and stared into his eyes as we realized the commitment we’d made to each other was bigger then life.

The next day

I breathed in the toxic air of my high school. Hearing the plastics make fun of the rest of us. Seeing the jocks mindlessly walk around and flirt with every girl in sight. The nerds at their tables with books open from every corner. And then the rest of us that really didn’t give a damn. People like Christian and I who didn’t really belong to a cliché. We just…well we’re just here. I haven’t seen Christian yet this morning. He missed the bus and his mom had to bring him in late. He texted me in second period and said he’d meet me at lunch. The day pretty much passed in a blur. I had to be careful to revel my new wound to the rest of the student body. Which was slightly difficult because I was wearing thick fingerless gloves in 100 degree weather. People questioned me but I came up with constant excuses. Christian wore an ace bandage and claimed he hurt himself while skateboarding. It was too much of a clean cut to be from that but no one questioned him.
The bell rang and me and some friends headed off to lunch, they chattered as we walked but I paid no attention to the high school gossip. This would be my first time being around Christian sense we’d committed ourselves and I wondered if it’d be awkward, tense or just normal.
When we entered the lunch line I began scanning the room for him. He was already at the back table, a tray on the table in front of him and a book to his eyes. He looked peaceful and simply adorable. I grabbed myself two slices of pizza, a Pepsi, an apple and split from my friends to join him.
“God I hope she’s not avoiding me because of what we did last night!” Christian’s voice rang in my ears as if he was talking to me. I looked at him as I walked and he suddenly looked at his wounded hand. “I knew it was a mistake. Now I’ll probably barely talk to her now and I lost the girl I-” the voice cut off and he looked up to meet my eyes. He smiled and closed his book. I looked at him confused and slid into the seat in front of him, I picked at my pizza as I spoke “Where you just talking?”
He raised an eye brow and shook his head. Letting some of his hair fall in front of his eyes “No” he gave me a suspicious look “should I have been?”
“no” My answer came off with a sour tone. But I was wondering where his voice came from. “Man, what’s wrong with her today. Is it me?. But god she looks amazing as always” his voice filled my ears again. I quickly looked up and he had his eyes on his tray, tearing apart his food as I was. “Come on Chris, You just talked”
His eyes snapped up and looked at me “No Ava I didn’t” his serious expression assured me that he wasn’t joking. “Chris, Do you really think I always look amazing?”
He looked at me with astonishment and I’d backtracked what I’d say. He flushed a slight magenta and looked down “Well umm…sure” he sounded uneasy “Did I say it out loud?! What the hell is wrong with me! But god her eyes…damn it don’t look up. Keep it cool Christian, just don’t look up”
I stared at his mouth that never moved, his cheeks that never pinched and his throat that remained still. I was truly astonished as to what was happening to me, was I going insane?
“Christian” I hesitated until he looked up at me “think of what you dreamed of last night”
He looked at me confused but I seen his eyes close…he was thinking.
“The most beautiful dream of me and you Ava….To bad you’ll never know that”
I gasped and stared at him. He jumped slightly, astonished at my reaction “What?”
My words came out accusing, menacing even but I tried to bring them as soft as possible “You had a dream…About me and You?” His mouth about his the table, he stared at me but said nothing.
And that’s when I pulled back and sunk into my seat. I don’t know how. And I don’t know why but something happened last night when Christian’s and My blood met. Something horrific and abnormal…because some how…some way.
I can read his thoughts.


The author's comments:
I was thinking about making this into a book. I'm not sure if i like it enough or not though. Comments and thoughts?

Similar Articles

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 22 comments.


LastChapter said...
on Jul. 14 2010 at 12:03 am
LastChapter, Hempstead, New York
0 articles 0 photos 215 comments

Favorite Quote:
(couldn't think of anything better at the time) "Take the first step in faith. You don't have to see the whole staircase, just take the first step."-Dr.Martin Luther King Jr.

your, like, my new favorite teenink author now. awesome job!

JustMe said...
on May. 10 2010 at 5:49 pm
wow,wow,wow!!!! really inerseting!! i love the twist you made :) Thanks for commenting on my work

on Mar. 9 2010 at 3:24 pm
Acalleq PLATINUM, Togiak, Alaska
22 articles 5 photos 146 comments

Favorite Quote:
you never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have

is it Ava that's only able to read his thoughts or could Christian that is able too? you should write more, that was awsome!

on Feb. 28 2010 at 3:00 pm
beccasara12 BRONZE, Guttenberg, New Jersey
4 articles 0 photos 14 comments
this reminds me a lot of the Vampire Acadamy... even the name... Christian ... but its really good! grat job!

on Feb. 17 2010 at 5:52 pm
BrittanyHale SILVER, Orlando, Florida
6 articles 1 photo 37 comments

Favorite Quote:
A Kiss is a lovely trick,designed by nature to stop word when speech becomes superflous.

Definetly make this a book...:))

Adrian said...
on Feb. 12 2010 at 8:14 am
I like this piece. The only weird thing is...Besides for the 'Beautiful' part. The main guy Christian discribed. Sounds like me O.O. Or it might just be in my mind. But still. Love this story. keep up the good work.

Ash Hale said...
on Feb. 12 2010 at 8:11 am
WOW! i really like. normally stories about mind reading all end up the same way. Like in twilight where Edward can read EVERYONES mind. besides for bellas. I'm glad this isn't one of those stories. it's got a new twist on mind reading and i love it. Continue writing. You're really talented.

JessiPierce said...
on Feb. 12 2010 at 8:02 am
I agree with the person below me. You did have a few spelling/Grammar errors. But those aside this is very well written. It's a new take on mindreading and keeps the readers interested. If you posted more i'd continue reading.

on Feb. 11 2010 at 9:49 pm
ChildoftheSky SILVER, Hartford, Wisconsin
5 articles 0 photos 9 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I am not a number; I am a free man!"-some movie or another. (Someday I'll remember it..."

You had a few spelling and grammar mistakes, and I think the word "blood" was used too often in the beginning, but it was overall a great story. Loved the idea!

on Feb. 11 2010 at 3:25 pm
NikitaBliss PLATINUM, Galion, Ohio
21 articles 0 photos 26 comments

Favorite Quote:
The more you wait, the more it sucks.

i like this one u should really add more on! :)

on Feb. 11 2010 at 10:49 am
TheStoryWeaver GOLD, Sofia, Other
12 articles 4 photos 39 comments

Favorite Quote:
"The Aenied is an Odyssey of epic proportions." - Caleb
"Eve was deceived and ate the fruit, Adam ate it out of stupidity." - Mr. M
"Begone ye map of woe!"
"I'm the map..." - Lydia and Caleb.

it's really good but maybe you should think about putting more punctuation in... especially the first couple of sentences. I was confused on what the atmosphere was in the beginning and maybe some more descriptive words will help. Anyways... it was a good piece and I liked it. You should definitely write more. :)

on Feb. 11 2010 at 9:50 am
annkaykay2011 DIAMOND, Lansing, Michigan
75 articles 11 photos 137 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I am who I am, sorry, no changes."

LOl i love it. Its hilarious, good structure and it has lots of voice. Thanx for the comment btw, its not exactly finished yet. =P

on Feb. 2 2010 at 6:36 pm
SilverLuna SILVER, _________, Washington
8 articles 0 photos 229 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Come fairies take me out of this dull world, for I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame.".... W.B. Yeats.
"Flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Douglas Adams

Dude, I. Love. This. STORY! Seriously! It's, it's, it's amazing! Please write more!!!! Please please please!!

on Feb. 1 2010 at 7:59 pm
Alpha-Lyrae GOLD, Toronto, ON, Other
13 articles 3 photos 37 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I've loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night." -Galileo Galilei
"In the Beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." -Douglas Adams

very good, you should definetly continue it!

on Jan. 31 2010 at 8:59 pm
Lil_Alice BRONZE, Chadds Ford, Pennsylvania
4 articles 0 photos 9 comments

Favorite Quote:
shoot for the moon, even if you miss, you'll land among the stars

this is sooo good PLEASE continue it!

J. Rae said...
on Jan. 30 2010 at 11:40 am
WOW! That was awesome! You should continue this! The whole mind reading thing is always interesting.

on Jan. 28 2010 at 2:24 pm
BrittneyCloud SILVER, Albuquerque, New Mexico
7 articles 0 photos 29 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Dont tell me the sky is the limit when there are footprints on the moon!"

are you going to continue this? i really think you should. I loved it:)

on Jan. 27 2010 at 8:51 pm
Lovestonedloser GOLD, Orlando, Florida
17 articles 0 photos 65 comments

Favorite Quote:
If your always looking down, you'll never see the beauty of the stars.

SPELL ALERT! I re-read it and Noticed i mispelled 2 things.

(1) I gulped softly, not loud enough for him to head, It was suppose to be Hear.

(2) His mouth about his the table. It was suppose to be Hit.

I'm sorry for the mispelling. I didn't notice them before.

Aeranthae said...
on Jan. 25 2010 at 8:41 pm
Aeranthae, 1, Pennsylvania
0 articles 0 photos 2 comments
Awesome! I really liked it as a new view on mind reading (or at least one I've never heard before). Keep on writing!

KK2013 GOLD said...
on Jan. 25 2010 at 4:50 pm
KK2013 GOLD, Solon, Ohio
10 articles 2 photos 161 comments

Favorite Quote:
Age is foolish and forgetful when it underestimates youth.-J. K. Rowling

buenisimo! (very good!) i thought the "I can read his thoughts" was a little anticlimactic, but besides that brilliant!