You choose the blue door | Teen Ink

You choose the blue door

May 4, 2022
By Anonymous

You find yourself in front of a blue and gold door. It towers above you, even at the bottom of the steps leading up to it. As you quickly fix your attire, you begin to slowly walk closer to the sleeping beast. Coming closer you can now see that the door has hints of jewels pressed into the bright blue center of the door. As you follow the blackened iron gates you crane your neck to see a golden clock. Quietly ticking away as it starts to approach nine pm. As you start to reach for the grand handles, you stop to feel the texture of them. It feels smooth, and following the gently carved curves in the handle leads you back to the iron gate. Checking the time on your watch you decide to step inside. You slowly pull open the door, holding your breath as you see thinly-veiled darkness inside. The door is silent as it glides against the staircases marble floors, making a sudden clang against the walls that shocks you to your core.

 

As you peer inside the door you find a dimly lit ballroom; it has checkerboard flooring and melted candles set up on beautifully carved tables. You step inside hearing your shoes softly click on the flooring. As you walk towards one of the tables you hear the grand doors close behind you. You turn around to see who the perpetrator was but find nothing but the ocean blue interior of the doors. You slowly turn away, not taking your eyes off the door, and begin to look at what is on the table. The table has clean empty trays stacked neatly in rows surrounding the melting candles pouring a soft warm light onto the ebony table. You carefully guide your fingers on the table as you walk towards the center of the ballroom. Feeling the smoothly worn table as your hands drift back to your sides.

 

The center of the ballroom has the checkerboard floor colliding in a trance, having the whites mix in waves with the black. You crouch down to look closer at it but it's hard to make out. You decide to grab a candle to take a closer look, now seeing that there is writing on the floor in the mix between the marble and resin-casted flooring. The writing reads "Open your eyes," as you slowly rise back to be standing you peer around the room. Hearing nothing but the quiet sounds of flaming candles, your clicking shoes, and your hushed breathing.


The author's comments:

It was originally based of a writing prompt of choosing one image of a door and writing what you might find on the other side. I choose the second-person perspective as a little added challenge along with the piece.