Valentines Dance | Teen Ink

Valentines Dance

By kewdee GOLD, Kaysville, Utah
kewdee GOLD, Kaysville, Utah

I stood with my friends at the front of the dance floor. Though I’d been having a crummy day I’d come to the dance in hopes of lifting my spirits. But so far it was to no avail. Both my friends had their boyfriends with them; I was the only one at the Valentines Day dance without a boyfriend in my group of friends. As the song My Only Hope by Mandy Moore started to play I drifted away from my friends while they dance with their boyfriends, trying not to cry.

As I walked I bumped into a guy who wasn’t dancing with anyone.
Okay luck; let’s see if you’re on my side today. I thought as I looked up at him.
“Would you like to dance?” I asked looking up into his bright blue eyes, hoping desperately he’d say yes.
“I’d love to.” He said kindly and then did a bow and held out his hand to me.
Blushing I smiled at him and did a small curtsy as I took his hand.
Suddenly he twirled me around a couple of times and then we began to dance.
The whole time was just a whirl of happiness and bliss. I smiled and for the first time that night it was a genuine smile. I felt as if everything else just faded away and it was just me and him, dancing out somewhere in space around all the stars.
“So what’s your name?” He asked me as he dipped me down.
“Clari.” I breathed as I lay down against his leg. “Yours?”
“Tyler.” He replied smiling at me.
He pulled me back up and then we continued dancing.
He then pulled me back in after twirling me and asked, “Are you a regular?”
“Yes.” I replied smiling. These dances were held once a month and I came every time if I could.
“Same.” He replied smiling again.
Gosh his smiles amazing. I thought as we danced.
I was glad that he knew what he was doing and that I was good at being lead, since I had no real idea how to dance.
We had a small conversation, but it was just small things. Then as the song began to end he dipped me one more time and smiled.
“Thank you for dancing with me.” I said smiling.
“You’re welcome, and thank you.” He replied.
“You’re welcome.” I said nodding and then made my way back to my friends. My hand still felt warm from when it had been in his hand, and I couldn’t stop smiling. Just by dancing with him my day seemed to end perfectly. All my earlier disappointments faded from my mind, and all I could think about was Tyler, and the wonderful dance I had just had.

Tomoyo said...
on Jul. 8 2009 at 3:46 am
*sighs happily* I love this one sooo much! It's probably my favorite, actually.