The Psychic | Teen Ink

The Psychic

By ElizabethWrites SILVER, Vancouver, Washington
ElizabethWrites SILVER, Vancouver, Washington

"Despite everything, I believe that people are really good at heart."
-Anne Frank

He slides the crisp green bills across the table. "Tell me what I want to know." She lifts her arm, as if to take the money, but proceeds to crossing her arms instead as she lets out a
little huff of contentment.

"It doesn't work that way," she simply states. He narrows his eyes and lifts his head
flabbergasted.
"What do you mean? It says on the front of your shop that the pay is $10 per reading.
Here is the money, now tell me my future."
She lets out a high-pitched giggle. "I am not the Oracle of Delphi! You cannot just bribe
me with artificial riches to tell you what you want to hear. What you pay for are my services, not
if you like your destiny. If you agree with these terms, then you may receive a reading. If you do
not, well there's the door," she explains, pointing her slender fingers adorn with rings of all
gemstones towards the back exit of the shop.
He gulps nervously, surprised by her forwardness, yet he pushes the money closer
towards the psychic. She obliges this time, folding the dollars into perfect folds and putting them
away on the desk nearby. Then, she looks up at the man with curious eyes observing him
closely.
She saw a polished man, trying his best to look the part. But on the inside, he really just
wants to see if there is something unpredictable in his path. He has been living the linear way
for too long, it was time for him to live life, instead of just planning it. But what the man sees in
her is entirely different.
The man is immediately drawn to her eyes. They are outlined in black, reminding him of
a tiger, mesmerizing him and captivating his attention. She wears a headdress, dangling with
beads that clatter at every movement. The man thought she was intimidating. But he also sees
a lot of beauty in her too. The way her cheekbones are strict when she glares, yet softens at the
sound of her laugh, or the sight of her pearly whites made her seem more approachable.
"First," she starts out, "I need you to tell me about your life. Any kids? Married? In a
relationship?"
"I am not currently seeing anymore and I haven't started a family yet. But I would like to
eventually."
"Good, that's something we can agree on," she talks to herself quietly.
"What was that?" The man asks, confused and slightly skeptical. He is a simple business
man going on his day just like any other. But today, however, was different. He wanted to see
what was in his future, besides a suit and tie and a trusted briefcase in his grasp.
"Sorry, I was mumbling to myself. Now, I need to take your hand." She slowly cradles her
hand in his. But he objects.
"Don't you need to ask me more questions? Like if I had a bad childhood or about about
my job? Besides, I heard there is nothing you can learn from studying a palm.""None of that information is important. Besides, who says I am getting a reading. I just wanted to hold your hand."

His eyes grow wide and his face ?ushes scarlet red. He wasn't exactly sure at what
the young psychic was hinting at.
"I'm kidding," she replies easily, flashing a sincere smile. But the man's hand is a little
shaky, as he lets her fingers against the surface of his skin, almost tickling him. She leans in,
enclosing the space between her and the man. His breaths grow slower, and even though he
tries to slouch back and relax, he is tensed up from the shoulders and he digests everything
with a careful eye.
The psychic traces her long nails against the creases and veins along his palm. Her wild
mane of black curly hair brushes against his arm, and it feels somehow soothing. He relaxes a
little and lets the psychic do her job.
She slowly lets go of his hand, and tells him his destiny. "You will fall in love with
someone you least expect. You will eventually get married, and have two children. One boy and
one girl. You will live happily somewhere close."
His eyes light up, and in that moment, she can see all of the hopes and dreams he
aspires. They share a spark, and they grow rosy cheeks. The psychic has a smug grin laced
with victory. "What else can you tell me? Tell me more about who will be the love of my life!"
She grins. "Her beauty will come from within and without. She has special abilities and
pave an easier for you and your family with her great wisdom."
"When will I meet her? How can I get her sooner?" He asks eagerly. She giggles once
more, in a resonating high tone, before lowering her pitch into a serious voice.
"You have already met her. She is closer to you right now then you think. Your destiny
will come when it is ready, but sometimes, you have to give it a little push."
And with the snap of her fingers, she was gone, evaporating in a foreign smoke. Upon
the table in which the psychic used to sit across from the man is her business card.
He slowly picks it up, slightly fumbling with the paper since he was still shaken up by
what had appeared to be magic. He turns it carefully to see a personal cellphone number

scribed on the back in perfect calligraphy. The man finds himself repeating the last words she
had spoken to him only seconds before.
"Sometimes, you have to give destiny a little push."

I was given a prompt to write about Love but was unsure of what to do. I wanted to make the characters very diverse, and then I thought, "How about a fortune teller?"