A Familiar Face | Teen Ink

A Familiar Face

December 5, 2008
By Anonymous

The vast piles of autumn leaves were scattered once more with the gusts of icy wind that signaled the arrival of winter. Tristan paused to adjust his scarf before continuing on his morning walk through New York’s Central Park, which was only a few blocks away from his apartment. He checked his watch. Though today was Saturday, he had only a few hours before he had to return to what seemed to be his only companion these days, his work. He enjoyed these early strolls through the scenic paths which contrasted greatly with the skyscrapers that loomed above on all sides of the trees around him.

At this early hour, the place was already bustling with activity. Street musicians had begun to play for their daily wage, luring in crowds of people. Families of tourists were seen pulling out their maps, obviously having trouble maneuvering their way through the vast park. Food stands had already begun selling their pretzels and hot dogs, flavoring the cold air with their smells. No matter where he looked, Tristan noticed that he was the only lone figure in this sea of activity. New York was awe-inspiring with its city lights and busy streets, but he felt small and insignificant here despite his tall frame. He wished so much to catch a glimpse of a familiar face, or maybe just a name that would remind him of home.

He spied a newsstand a few feet ahead of him and hoped to focus his thoughts on the troubles of the world instead of his own trivial feelings of loneliness. Upon reaching the small kiosk, he studied the variety of magazines and newspapers laid out before him. His eyes widened with astonishment as he focused his attention on one particular magazine. The familiar brown eyes looked up at him from the front page. Was it really her? He picked up the magazine and scanned the page for more clues. The same heartwarming smile. The same dark hair. Her name was printed in large letters on the right-hand side of the cover. It really was her. He quickly paid for the publication and flipped through the pages eagerly.

The words “upcoming success” and “breakthrough achievements” jumped out at him as he read the article about her. He smiled. She really was making a name for herself. Her determined ambition had always struck him as unusual yet inspiring back then; it had made him confident that she someday would.

“Wow, four years,” Tristan thought to himself. Four years since they had gone their separate ways to college. They had tried keeping in touch through e-mails and short phone calls, but the fact that they had put their goals and aspirations above all else made it increasingly difficult to find time for them. It didn’t keep him from thinking about her though. Little things that reminded her of him had funny ways of finding him. He had yet to meet someone that was like her, and he hoped he never would. He rolled the magazine up and clutched it in his hand. He’ll find her again someday.

“I’m sure of it,” he replied under his breath. She had somehow found her way back into his life, and he wasn’t going to let her go this time.


The author's comments:
Another piece from Creative Writing class. My teacher really liked this one =)