Just a Lovely Image | Teen Ink

Just a Lovely Image

By ElsinorRavenwood PLATINUM, Maple Ridge, British Columbia, Other
ElsinorRavenwood PLATINUM, Maple Ridge, British Columbia, Other

"In Spain there was Guernica! But here, there was only hot swing music and liquor, dance halls, ban and movies, and sex that hung in the gloomlike a chandelier and flooded the world with brief, deceptive rainbows." ~Tom Wingfield, The Glass Menagerie

She walked slowly and carefully, but obviously limping. At the time I didn’t know, but she had broken a bone in her foot. She walked along, her nose barely visible above the pile of books in her arms.
She made quite a bit of noise as she moved because her bag was overflowing with a cheap pencil case full of expensive pencils. That actually describes her I think. Cheap wrapping, not very pretty, but expensive inside- a wonderful personality. I only knew because I knew of her. Everyone did. She was effervescent.
I walked behind her in the hall and finally, in a cascade of whirling pages and colour, one of her books fell. She leaned over and went to pick it up. I walked forward.
“Are you okay?” I asked.
“I think I got it,” she said, smiling. I want you to know that I didn’t love her. We didn’t fall in love and live the rest of our lives together. She just picked up the book, struggling with all her things and continued on. I didn’t write this out of love. It’s just a lovely image.