Behind the Silver Door | Teen Ink

Behind the Silver Door

October 3, 2014
By wallflower3 GOLD, Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
wallflower3 GOLD, Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
15 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted." -Randy Pausch


The air was thick with tension between the princess’s lover and the king. Her barbaric father with his punitive ways was the one person standing in the way of the princess and the man being together.  Suddenly her lover was quickly reminded of the other things that stood in his way of the princess, like the two large doors that stood before him. Then everything around him suddenly became real: the women behind one door, the very women that the princess hated, the vicious tiger waiting for him, the cheering crowd, the king with a smirk on his face. Then he watched the princess sit nervously biting her lip, and staring at the ground.  He wondered if the skies of his future were about to darken.
The hand motion that the princess indicated was the last movement her lover needed to see, so he began to walk to the doors. Step by step, until he stood straight in front of the right door. The gasp of the crowd became exceedingly louder, as if they were trying to catch their breath. More and more people came to realize what door he had picked. Before the young man stood the angry, sneering tiger ready to pounce.
The people in the stadium remained on edge because the princess’s lover was now proven guilty. The door shall not lie, and to the crowd this meant that fate had taken the wheel and led him to the tiger. Little did they know, the princess was the one steering the wheel of fate. In the split second that he had, he slowly turned his body to look back at the princess, his face in utter shock and despair. His fortune melted away like ice thawing. He wanted to know why the princess had done this to him. But before he had time to think, the tiger drew back one of its feet, as if getting ready to charge.
With the tigers’ head slightly tilted to the right and its wild eyes glaring, it gradually opened its mouth wide revealing its teeth. The tigers’ fangs were as white as snow and as sharp as a silver arrow. The princess watched as the man stared straight at death, she envisioned the razor-like fangs sinking into the man’s skin and his fierce cry for help that wasn’t to be answered by anyone. Before she knew it, the princess’s slight daydream of her love being attacked by the tiger was happening before her eyes. The tiger made a violent and ferocious growl right before grasping the mans leg with it’s strident teeth. The scream was even more hopeless and desperate than the princess expected, she began to feel her guilt build as she watched her lover be torn to shreds. The man’s once white shirt had turned into a blood-soaked cloth.
The princess could no longer watch. She knowingly had done a terrible thing, but why? She was hopelessly afraid of seeing her love with the women she hated most. She felt as if this woman behind the right door wasn’t deserving of such a gracious man. Her possessiveness and doubt was the very thing that tore her lover to shreds. She told him to go to the right door, the door in which the tiger stood behind. The princess did this because at least she would know that she was the last person he will ever love, and not anyone else.


The author's comments:

This is an ending I created for the tail "The Lady or The Tiger", a short story I read in English class.