HIgh Expectations | Teen Ink

HIgh Expectations

By miyak BRONZE, Palatine, Illinois
miyak BRONZE, Palatine, Illinois

Me? Honestly, I am just your average fifteen-year-old girl. And, by average I mean the kind that stays up late at night and watches movies like The Notebook and Dear John hoping my life ends up like that. And by that I mean a fairytale. You know what I mean, the perfect life that exists in the movies.
Well, first of all, let me just say that not all guys are the same. True, most are. But some aren’t. If you are a female reading this, you are probably thinking of your ex-boyfriend and how much he sucked, and saying “Nope. They are all the same”. You were, weren’t you? I thought so. Well, the reason I say some don’t suck is because I found one that was different.
Anyway, here’s my story, and it starts like most teenage girls stories… So, there was this boy. And basically in my head, we were going to fall in love and get married, end of story. He wasn’t the corny “You are my everything” sweet-talker, or the ‘I don’t show any emotions, because I am a man and I like football’ guy either. He was perfect, and he was mine. We always got along, and we acted like best friends, who never got bored with each other. But, trouble struck one night, when I was mad that he didn’t say or do cute boyfriend things, you know, like in the movies. Being the hopeless romantic that I am, when John (from Dear John) says, “Two week together, that’s all it took, two week for me to fall for you”… I cry. So you can understand how I just got upset that my prince charming, didn’t put much effort is swooping me off my feet. I know that I probably sound like a stereotypical unsecure girl, but all I am saying is sometimes its nice to feel wanted.
Later that night, I was watching Easy A with my mom and, the main character, Olive, said, “I want John Cusack holding a boom box outside my window. I wanna ride off on a lawnmower with Patrick Dempsey. I want Jake from Sixteen Candles waiting outside the church for me. I want Judd Nelson thrusting his fist into the air because he knows he got Me.” I couldn’t have said it better, myself. I wanted my life to be a fairytale. So, I did what any other impulsive person would have done. I ended things with my perfect prince charming.
You know, people always tell me that you don’t realize what you have, until it’s gone. Well, I could not agree more. The thing is, I wish I had realized that my life isn’t a movie. There isn’t someone who is writing everything out to be perfect. I mean, think about it this way. We have all written papers for English, right? Well, think about the best paper you have ever written. Now think about how many times you edited that paper, how many times you marked it up, and reworded your sentences. Just think, you did all that work to have your teacher and maybe a few other people read it. Could you imagine how much you would edit your paper if it was going to be turned into a movie? What I am trying to say by this long rant is no one edits what they are going to say before they say it. The only time people say the perfect thing is when they are in the movies. Because someone spent hours thinking about how to make John sound prefect when he says it only took two weeks to fall in love. Also, don’t let the actors fool you… they are getting paid to make it look perfect.
Basically, what I am trying to say is life isn’t a movie. And no matter how bad you want everything to be perfect, eventually something is going to go wrong. And that’s okay. Love isn’t supposed to be perfect. Love isn’t ever going to be perfect… But, maybe that’s what makes it worth it.