Life in a Flash of a Second | Teen Ink

Life in a Flash of a Second

By vbronk PLATINUM, Winona, Minnesota
vbronk PLATINUM, Winona, Minnesota

“I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.”
― Marilyn Monroe

Crumbling before my very eyes was the building I grew up in. My eyes filled with painful and sorrowful tears. My heart was pounding so fast I thought my heart was going to leap right out of my chest. I sat there watching as my old house was crumbling and everything inside of it wasted away.
“Sarah, we have to go, this isn’t good for you right now. You have to put this behind you.” Damen said worriedly.
“I can’t, this was my whole life before my eyes. There’s nothing left of me. Everything is destroyed, and I don’t know what to do.” She replied holding back tears.
“You still have me, Sarah. I know who you are and I can help you remember. I’m your best friend and I want the best for you. You deserve it.” Damen replied.
“Thanks Damen, but what am I supposed to do with all this?” Sarah asked.
“Forget about it. You don’t need to worry about it any longer. It’s in the past now, and you should not live in the past. Sarah, be strong and live in the present.....with me.” Damen replied with concern.
I watched as the man I loved came closer to me and embraced me with a friendly caring hug. I hugged back and hoped that one day he would see the way I like him, and maybe, just maybe, he would feel the same way as I feel for him.
“Sarah let’s go!” Damen said concerned.
“Only if you promise me one thing.” Sarah responded seriously.
“Alright, what is it, Sarah?” Damen asked.
“Will you marry me? I have loved you since the first moment I laid my eyes on you. You
would make me the happiest girl in the world if you said yes.” Sarah blurted out.
“I don’t know.” Damen replied.
“Well at least you didn’t say no. Thank you, and you know you're a really nice and kind guy.”
Sarah said truthfully.
“Thank you.” Damen said with a loving smile.
“Just telling the truth. You deserve it.” Sarah said while walking away.