Midinight Dance | Teen Ink

Midinight Dance

November 16, 2008
By Anonymous

The stars were shining above us. Each dazzling star was a light on a disco ball that Adam and I danced under. The night was dressed in inky black to match my clothes. Adam and I swerved in and out of the trees to our own beat. Grass was the perfect dance floor. The softness of it cushioned our steps. Nature was all the music we needed. The chilling wind was our pipes, seedpods were our maracas, and the pecking of a bird was our drum. The leaves so high on the trees were swaying with us in the wind. This part of the world seemed meant for us.

How long could this last? A second, a minute, an hour, a day, a lifetime? The crisp air held no answer for us. We just kept weaving back and forth in each other’s arms. Time was not our problem. Nor was hate, envy or competition. The world for that moment was perfect, and could never be duplicated.

Adam and I were spinning around a rose bush when I heard a crack of a gun and Adam went limp. I was so confused I didn’t know what was happening. Adam’s body fell to the ground as I dropped next to him. Blood was seeping through his shirt like a raging river. My salty tears mixed with his blood as I sat there gazing into his glassy blue eyes. I laid my head on his chest sobbing when the police sirens could be heard in the distance.

The sirens were getting closer and closer and soon they could be heard right ahead of us. I lifted my tear-streaked face to meet the officer when I heard a faint sound. I turned my head towards Adam and then I realized his pale lips were moving.

I fell to my knees at his side listening. Barely louder than coo of a dove he whispered, “ Remember me Alli. Remember me and our midnight dance.” Then Adam left the world, left me, and left an unfinished dance that could have lasted a lifetime.