Thorns | Teen Ink

Thorns

July 15, 2011
By HaleyStar GOLD, Mattoon, Illinois
HaleyStar GOLD, Mattoon, Illinois
12 articles 2 photos 35 comments

Favorite Quote:
"The dog? You are named after a dog?"
"I had a lot of fond memories of that Dog."~Indiana Jones~

"Can you knot?"
"I cannot."
"You can knot?"
"I cannot knot." ~Winnie the Pooh movie~


If my life was a flower, it'd be a rose, with bright red petals dulling to a wrinkled, dying brown. And You'd be the thorns, blackened and menacing. I'm not sure why I stay, when everyone, my mom, my friends, the bruises you leave on my skin all tell me to dump your loser butt on the curb.
"Raven, hand me my shoes," you say, after we're done making sweet love, the only time I feel safe around you.
"Get them yourself. I'm not your slave," I want to reply, but I don't. I go bend down, aware that your greedy eyes are always tracking my movements as I turn around to hand you your wolverine steel toed boots.
You scrutinize me as you tie your laces, crooked grin on your face, and I can tell by the look in your eyes that I'm yours; yours forever, no matter how I feel.
You reach over and tug me onto your lap, and you kiss my bruised neck, fingering my exposed skin.
"I love you," You murmur, and I know that you have me, by your thorns. They're digging into my flesh, reeling me in; my scratched, bloody skin.
You wait for me to reply, and I feel that familiar shaky smile spread across my lips.My hands mechanically reach for you, embrace you, so that I can hide the death of my soul behind your back, but I have no time to tell you what you want to hear.
My phone buzzes on my desk, and I jolt slightly, rising to get it, but you are quicker, snatching it up with your long white fingers, fingers that could bring a soft caress, or a bruised eye.
I see the vein on your temple bulging,your face blazing a bright crimson, and I know I should run, but I'm too afraid.
"Kevin texted you," You say, as if you're commenting on the weather, but I know that the pain will come soon, "I thought I told you not to talk to that Pus."
"..."
You chuck my phone so hard that it nearly explodes against my wall, and then turn to me, hands like talons at your sides.
I shrink, and this only makes you angry. You lunge at me, and I wonder if I'll live to see your fist rearing back again, or if the first one, with its speed and ferocity will knock me out before the second one comes.