All Mine | Teen Ink

All Mine

April 19, 2010
By iseeME26 BRONZE, San Antonio, Texas
iseeME26 BRONZE, San Antonio, Texas
2 articles 0 photos 9 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Make sure your dignity doean't fall to the floor while you run to catch up with the crowd."


The sun hung low in the sky as I hurried to my next class. The campus was abnormally packed this month, people walking in and out of classes with friends. There were many shy girls finally getting the chance to have a boyfriend, and many wild girls finally getting some "alone" time. I looked into the school book store window, disappointed to not see my crush working. He must be out with Tasha, the popular cheerleader from Texas. She wanted to be a Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders when she grew up, probably just to wear their skimpy outfits while screaming their heads off. I never liked Tasha, but I came to accept her because Jack liked her. Only for Jack.
"Whoa!" I shrieked suddenly, some creep had knocked my book out of my hands.
"Watch it Pie-Mai!"
I laughed and turned around, jumping into Jacks embrace.
"Jack you creep, where have you been?"
He let me go and stepped back, smug expression spreading over his face. Something was wrong.
"Tasha, she dumped me for the quarterback, perfect romance drama, eh?"
He switched from foot to foot with his hands in his pockets, his dark brown hair covering his face.
Covering those green eyes I loved so much.
"Never liked her," was all I could say. I thought that I would be ecstatic to hear this news, but seeing him so sad brought the mood down. I put my hand carefully on his back and started to walk him towards the parking lot.
He laughed and pushed me away," You have class Mai, I’ll catch you later."
"No!" I yelled quickly, running to catch up with him, pulling him back, “I uh, I got a pass to kick back today!"
He looked at me through his long black lashes, “You’re lying, and I can see it in your eyes."
I shook my head convincingly, and smiled my best fake smile.
"Free birds?" I asked cheerfully, I already knew he couldn’t resist free birds. They had the best burritos in College Station.
We sat at the table near the window and peered out for most of the time. A wave of awkwardness floated in the space around us, everything on edge.
"So," I started," Do you like your major? I'm thinking about switching."
He shook his head and smirked, “That would mean that you have changed two times and you have thought about changing maybe...Hmm...A hundred times! Mai come on!"
I laughed along with him but then stopped suddenly. How did he know that I felt like changing for most of the semester? Did he actually listen to me when I told him about it?
"Mai, you look like you’re about to puke. You ok?" He laughed nervously, leaning back in his chair dramatically.
“No it's stupid but Jack, you actually listen to me when I talked to you about that?"
He grabbed his burrito and chomped into it nodding his head slightly. I knew that trick, when something awkward came up; he always stuffed his face and looked away.
"Jack I know you, really? Whenever I said anything before, you would always kiss Tasha and act like you didn't hear me!"
He suddenly looked up and stared with wide eyes.
"Mai you noticed when I did that? You always acted like you didn't care!"
I groaned and kicked his shin. I never even thought about him kissing Tasha, and then caring if I saw. I just thought they were madly in love.
"Mai, back to earth! Of course I heard you, I always listened to you. Your middle name is Lynn; your favorite movie is White Chicks. And your favorite teen celebrity is Taylor Swift!"
I coughed nervously and smiled to show him I heard what he said. Really, I was freaking out on the inside. I never realized that he knew all these things about me. He stared at me as I stood up and ran to the bathroom.
When I came out I wasn't surprised to see him gone. What a waste of time coming here, now he probably thinks I’m a freak. And most importantly...I missed five days worth of notes all in two hours. When I put my coat on I found a napkin on the table with something written on it.
"Mai, meet me @ dorm. You know room #. Be here @ 7! -Jack"

I put on some lip gloss and looked in the mirror. My blue eyes were brought out by the black eyeliner. I hope Jack noticed.
I walked slowly to his dorm, passing mini-parties with 20 kids or so packed into one room. Once I was in front of his door I pushed it open slowly.
I stood there in the doorway shocked beyond my mind. He was sitting on his bed, wringing his hands and looking anxiously at the clock. When I shut the door he jumped up and laughed nervously.
"Mai! You're like 20 minutes late girl, were you on a hot date or something?"
I smiled and sat in his computer chair spinning around slowly to calm my nerves.
"Yeah uh, I just wanted to give something to you. Just a gift."
He fished around in his night stand and pulled out a box. I gasped loudly and he smiled.
"So you remember."
I nodded and stood, walking over to hold the box. This box was something I gave to Jack when we first met, on his birthday I was too young to know boundaries. I told him to open the box when he met the girl of his dreams. I was surprised to find it unopened.
"I was supposed to open it when I fell in love?" he asked quietly.
I nodded; still mesmerized by the box that was officially three years old.
"Well I think I should open it now," he murmured, looking deep into my eyes," I think it's time."
A tear slowly slid down my face, wiped away by my shaky hand.
Before I could talk his hand was tearing off the wrapper, picking up the ring inside. There were two, one for the guy and one for the girl.
"I think this is yours," he whispered, putting the ring on my finger. I held out my hand and stared at it. Never could I believe this would happen. And before I knew it he was kissing me, holding me in a tight embrace.
"I love you Mai," he whispered, “I never realized this until I started dating Tasha. You were so amazing to watch across the room, and your laugh!” He chuckled lightly, “I couldn’t contain myself…”
He stared into my eyes; his were filled with longing and hope.
“You’re a creep Jack,” I whispered, smiling as he pulled me closer,” And guess what.”
He laughed, “What! I’m a creep? Yeah, that’s a little old now Mai.”
“No,” I murmured holding up the ring,” Your all mine.”