Heart of Glass | Teen Ink

Heart of Glass

February 14, 2019
By PastelPaigee GOLD, Ormond Beach, Florida
PastelPaigee GOLD, Ormond Beach, Florida
12 articles 0 photos 0 comments

        The aroma of roasting chicken floated through the air. Accentuated by the crisp, pine scent of Rosemary. Servants rushed in and out of the kitchen doors, all carrying platters of mouth-watering meats, vegetables, pastries and fruits. Roasted vegetables crusted in parmesan cheese and breadcrumbs passed by Elain on her way to the dining room. The scent driving her mad with hunger. She gripped her apron in tight fistfuls to keep from reaching out and stuffing herself full of the exquisitely prepared food. 

 
        In only a couple hours, the biggest celebration the kingdom has ever thrown will take place. And no-one was going to miss it. Hence, the frenzy of last-minute preparations. The dining room was decorated with golden ribbons that twirled and twisted around the ceiling. Servants polished the immensely long dining table with hurried strokes, and then placed a tablecloth embroidered with thin, strands of gold onto the polished wood.  


        A shrill voice cut over the sounds of scurrying and scrubbing, “Finally! I called for you ten minutes ago!” Missy ran over in a flurry of skirts, her face red and contorted with anger. “Where have you been?” She pointed a finger at Elaine, whose gaze fell to her feet. Her face heated with shame.

        It took a momentous effort to form the words, 
 “I’m sorry Missy...” the scurrying and scrubbing of the other servants became quiet and the weight of multiple gazes burned into Elaine. She wished the ground could open up and swallow her whole. Missy eyed Elaine with contempt.

        “Just get to work,” Missy ground out, “Lord knows how much work we have to finish before tonight,” Elaine bowed, and then quickly joined a group of servants setting the dining table with plates and goblets of cut crystal. The coolness of the crystal helped her to gather herself back together.  
This evening was going to be something else. 
 
(pt. 2 coming soon) 


The author's comments:

Classic prince drabble.