Survivor | Teen Ink

Survivor

By Superstargamer12 BRONZE, Orange, Ohio
Superstargamer12 BRONZE, Orange, Ohio

As I slipped through the ice and into the icy cold water I was scared. Everyone told me that the pond was dangerous, and melting. I questioned why I decided to go skating on it even though I was told not to. I quickly realized that I had no time to think and I had to get out of the water. I did the only thing I could do which was to come up and bang on the ice. As I did this nothing happened.
I woke up in a dark Intensive Care Unit room with tubes attached to me, and I started to freak out. I wanted to know that this was all a dream. I wanted to know that I didn't almost die. Alams were beeping all around me, and I couldn’t breathe. Nurses and doctors came running in and started to calm me down all while re-inserting all the tubes into me. They then gave me an injection. Soon after that, I fell into a long deep sleep.
The doctors woke me up and then briefly explained what had happened. They said that I was very lucky to be alive but, even though I was alive, I would probably have severe brain damage due to the lack of oxygen to my brain and they didn't know how much I would be able to recover.
As I slowly started to heal, things got bad and I had my first seizure. The doctors couldn't figure out what was wrong with me, why I was doing so well then I drastically changed directions. They gave me an emergency MRI scan and my parents were told that they should expect the worst and that I would probably die. Before I went in for the scan I told my parents that everything was going to be ok and that I wasn't going to give up my fight for life.
When the scan was over there was no good news. I had intense swelling in my brain. If I didn't have emergency surgery to reduce the pressure in my brain I would die within the next 24 hours.
I got rushed into the operating room for an intense 16-hour surgery that would save my life. They were going to open up my skull and insert a metal plate to expand my skull, then insert a metal tube so it would be easier to measure the pressure in my skull.
After the surgery, I was back into the intensive care unit. I was starting to improve but my brain was still swelling and nobody knew what to do. My only hope was to be put into another medically induced coma to give my body time to heal.
This coma was different from the rest. I could hear the noises around me and it seemed like everything was back to normal I was at home, and It felt like life before the accident. But, It really wasn't, It was just my brain trying to heal.
When I woke up from this coma I started to get better quickly. Just a few weeks earlier, I was dying, and now I was finally able to get the tube removed from my head. After that, my recovery would be slow, but I knew that I would make a recovery, and I would be a survivor.