The Dawning | Teen Ink

The Dawning

By TheIdealist SILVER, New York City, New York
TheIdealist SILVER, New York City, New York

"We all die. The goal is not to last forever. It's to create something that does."

I looked at her and I swear something came over her. There was this look in her eyes. I don’t really know what it was, but I could tell it was something powerful, something real. What do you call that feeling? When something completely amazing happens and you can’t find the words to explain and it and all you know is that there’s this invisible force rising inside of you? Invigoration? No. It was much more than that. I’ve never seen anyone’s face light up so fast. It was like driving through a traffic tunnel at midnight. Everything is all dark and lonely and then you reach the end and all of sudden you’re surrounded by the glow of a million headlights as you cruise off to God Knows Where. The life of the city consumes you. Yeah, it was something like that. She had told me about it happening before. She was coming alive right in front of me. But she didn’t have me before, the last time that feeling came around. Last time, she was all alone. Alone in the dark of the tunnel. And then the ending came and she saw the lights and felt that feeling inside her. An uproar, a rumble, an internal uprising. She felt her life begin to change, her soul becoming new, and I can see it all, reflected in her beautiful eyes. I wish I had been there the last time. How awful it must be, how terrible, to have an entire revolution inside of you and have no one to share it with.