Lost in the Woods | Teen Ink

Lost in the Woods

June 8, 2022
By MarcumKM27 BRONZE, Manassas, Virginia
MarcumKM27 BRONZE, Manassas, Virginia
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Grace, my older sister, proposed that we wander down to the creek and from there we would meet her friend. Off we went the sun like a blanket on our backs, and the untamed branches grabbing at us. Finally, we made it to the water and now we must go into part of the woods we have never been in before.

We see an eerie house to our left and a rundown junkie looking road to our right. We take the left side trail. Suddenly we have no clue where we are. The big overpowering leaves seemed to close in on us as our minds raced with every horrible event that could happen. I finally silenced all the what ifs and came back to the real world. The sun was drifting away and was going to be gone in an hour or two so our journey to find our way home was on time crunch.

About an hour had passed, we managed to contact our parents long enough to tell them our situation, every beep from the phone made me know we would be ok. With every step I took my feet got heavier as I watched the sun start to hide behind the trees, it felt like my heart melt, I wanted nothing more but grace and me to be home. She tried to put on a brave face and be strong, but I knew deep down she was panic stricken. But we kept on, our arms and legs filled with cuts and scrapes stinging as we walked through the water and our feet blistering from our soggy sneakers, I could hear the squish as the water seeped from my shoes.

Suddenly we saw a big field with camo military jeeps going on for miles.  Although there was a small sign, we ran away too fast to read it. We walked and walked then we saw a big blue house glowing in the distance I felt a wave of relief wash over me. It was a Miricale that was the house diagonal across the street from my house do my house had to be close. All we had to do was cross through a huge ditch, that would only take us about fifteen minutes to cross through. So off we set the moonlight like a blanket on our backs, and the clean-cut branches were making a path for us. Finally, we made it home.


The author's comments:

I am a seventh grader from Virginia and I have taken journalism and creative writing classes. This piece is based on an experience my sister and I had when we were young. We have always been very close and our time lost in the woods brought us together to problem solve and get out.