The Confessions of Robert T. Odeman - December 29th, 1937 | Teen Ink

The Confessions of Robert T. Odeman - December 29th, 1937

By LiteratureWriter PLATINUM, Seattle, Washington
LiteratureWriter PLATINUM, Seattle, Washington

'It's lacking the one thing that keeps us alive. It's lacking people. Stupid, oridinairy, brilliant people!'

December 21st, 1937

Only half a decade it’s been Muli, since I read your letter of surrender and learned of your self-detrimental decision. I used to believe you didn’t know -- when you left without so much as a word. It was all I could do to resist following you; I was certain it’d lead to the downfall of my mental state. Although, after all this time, I can’t bring myself to believe -- that you didn’t know of what you were walking into, on that fateful day.

I’ve grown used to it now: the pain, constant pain -- never numbing; an eternal fire spreading through the centre of my palm and throughout my fingertips. And I can’t say the pain wasn’t worth it, because it was, it is, Muli; completely. Even so, I long for the ability to play for you again; but of course, both are unachievable unaided, not to mention together as one.

As I sit here, recording this nightmare that is my prison cell, I can’t but help reminisce memories that seem a lifetime away. The lifetime that started with you, Muli; the day I met Martin Ulrich Eppendorf. Twas the day everything changed.

I was seventeen then, on the verge of a new life. But I knew it was wrong -- forbidden -- but that made it all the more contrary to my previous life; it was a fresh start -- a new life. And I didn’t care what others thought; or did, it was my choice, my decision, my life.

However young I was, I knew this couldn’t -- wouldn’t -- last. It’d only be a matter of time, Muli, our time together was limited. Although, it seemed as though the fates spared me that day, for a content decade I managed to spend with you.

Whilst I carry on writing this, I briefly recall a visit from an old friend; Olga Rinnebach. Twas she who was in possession of this, and felt the kindness to give it to me. She told me to keep it safe, to hide it -- from the guards -- and I will Muli, I will; with my life.

I was inspired to write this by Robert T. Odeman himself (originally written for a homework assignment) and all he went through during the Holocaust.

awesome thank u for this article