THE LIGHT ALWAYS BREAKS THROUGH | Teen Ink

THE LIGHT ALWAYS BREAKS THROUGH

By emiliamateas BRONZE, Romania, Other
emiliamateas BRONZE, Romania, Other

Everything can change suddenly. He had to go through the dark for that to happen. A few days ago he saw many men standing in front of his window. They were stirred and were speaking with each other in a loud, almost irritated tone about something. That was a complicated sight for a child whose mind still couldn't understand why everything happened the way it did. That was until tomorrow. The following sight that appeared before his eyes was a big wall, an outstanding one, seeming to swallow the nearby buildings, covered in barbed wire, at the base of this wall were little men dressed in green, remembering him about the toys that he used to play with, but this time, in this reality the men weren't happy and most of them had machine guns. A day passed since the imposing wall sunk its fangs into the earth, the boy who was watching everything from far away felt the changes, the cold air that made its presence felt along with the sunset was stronger. There was no color, there was just something that seemed to never end. As the boy stared at the wall it made him feel as if the grey color somehow started to build its way through his soul, leaving everything in a maze, blurring his sight. And then there was a voice, a real one, belonging to a man.
''If I was you, I wouldn't stare at that wall for too long, you are a little too young to look in the eyes of sadness.'' The boy's trance was broken by that remark. He turned to where the voice came from and looked at the man with a curious yet afraid gaze. The man spoke german just like his father did, he had loose curls in his hair and two eyes that were clear just like the sky on a sunny day, yet those eyes were tired like he was up the whole night. Green clothes, a machine gun, and a pair of eyes that were searching his face. ''Where's your mom?'' The answer came immediately. ''She's didn't come home, she said she wanted to buy me a puppy.'' The next question came but it wasn't useful. The clear eyes softened at the understanding of the situation. The only puppies were behind the wall, a place that wasn't known for those on the other side. ''From where wanted she to but those puppies?'' No one said a thing. Unspoken words weren't lies. The soldier was looking at the child in front of him and the child was watching the ground, only one thought on his young mind. The soldier couldn't read his mind, that was something impossible, even for him. ''What about your dad?''
''He is missing since yesterday.'' And then the soldier understood fully, what happened, many people, no faces, it's always dark outside when they light up the night with their hope, the pencil belonging to life broke many times for these people, they were stories with no end. Then some words left the mouth of the young soldier. ''My wife could buy you a puppy.'' The child's eyes were shimmering with joy, and his gaze was warm just like fire during the winter, but fire always burns and he doesn't fear doing so, because of that the soldier just smiled, there was nothing to celebrate. Not yet. At night, at the same place, three figures go through the night, full of hope and death watching them silently as she sighs, she had seen this before. Without reverse, the action would be priceless. A few steps later, the three figures were standing before the wall, but since death is always attentive, a few minutes later the three figures heard a few voices somewhere close. The soldier knew, his wife knew, but the boy was just thinking about the puppies, white ones because he had seen enough black. The death knew the soldier wasn't weak for his action, yet he was stronger than the ones that felt the bite of misfortune too, and that's why the death allowed him something that many wouldn't see as a favor. A strong mind and a concentrated gaze over the two that were with him. That was her gift for him, the soldier was just like her, he was a guardian. The boy and the woman were already at the half of the way, no one turned their head, the past remains behind, this was a must. Both of them saw the sunset but the soldier saw a guardian and the light that he saw in the sky slowly disappeared, but for two other souls, that light was turned on. Suddenly everything can change because they went through the darkness. The sun has to go down to be back on top of the sky, a sky that's clear like the eyes that belong to a brave man.

(this shirt story was a ficitonal work)

After reading this short story you might realize why I choose this title. If you observe things around you or if you simply think about it, you might realize that light always gets through, just like a window, covered with various things, in an abandoned home, there's always a strand of light making its way inside, where there was no hope left. 

Let's talk about the story itself. The action is taking place right after the Berlin wall was built, separating the town into two parts, west and east, you might have realized that these three characters were attempting to move to West Berlin, that's why at the end of the story it mentions that both characters saw the sunset, the sun always goes down in the west side so, therefore, the sunset means the west. Also, the boy, the main character, had lost his parents that attempted to move to the other side and the soldier was the one in charge to guard the wall. A little backstory to this fictional work would be that the soldier was already planning his escape and the boy was additional, he wasn't at first part of the plan but as I mentioned, this story was meant to highlight compassion during hard times, etc. I think there is the need to remember that even through difficult times, there are people who care about others and hope is always the key, and more than that, compassion will always be a game changer, this short story was meant to reamber what i mentioned earlier.