Outrunning Death - Prologue | Teen Ink

Outrunning Death - Prologue

By laynie-writing BRONZE, Nowhereville, Other
laynie-writing BRONZE, Nowhereville, Other

"You can make anything by writing." C.S. Lewis

As soon as the young man left his house, he had regretted his decision. If you’re wondering, the year is 1942 in Germany. It’s World War II and things are already going badly. Unless you’re this young man that is. 

The man’s name is Heinrich Schröder. What he’s been doing since he was born was outrunning death. Here’s the catch though, Heinrich was born in 1760. If you guessed it, congratulations, you know that Heinrich is an immortal being.

There are struggles to being immortal though. One of the many is watching everyone you ever met die either too young or at the right time. Heinrich has gotten used to death through this, so the thought of death doesn’t affect him in some ways. 

Back to our main topic of The Great War that people thought would never happen. Well surprise, it happened and it’s just as bad as the first one that happened not to long ago. Weapons improved, tactics improved, some countries got a dictator, and the atom bomb was meant to wipe a country off the planet. What a great day and age to not be a soldier. Not that it really mattered to Heinrich. All he had to do was be careful of atom bombs and not piss off the Fürher. Other than those two things, Heinrich was going to be dandy.

I haven’t even described Heinrich to you all have I? Forgive me, I’m very forgetful sometimes. Heinrich is a male with light blond hair and piercing cobalt eyes. His height is average, well, to German standards he’s average height. Heinrich’s build is average to German’s as well, so maybe you can just imagine what that looks like. He isn’t all that talkative. Heinrich likes keeping to himself and makes very few friends, and I mean very few.

Stop letting me get off track! I’ll never be able to finish this story if you keep letting me go off like this.  

Anyway, Heinrich tries not to cause to much trouble to those around him. All he really wants to do is stay out of trouble and not talk to people about his opinions. Especially about the Fürher. God forbid you say something bad about him or something contradictory towards what he says. It’s almost like a crime to not agree with the man. 

Heinrich was constantly looking around him and his surroundings, not out of fear, but out of habit. It was just something he picked up from being in Russia back in 1917. Before you even think of asking, no, he wasn’t for the Revolution. He didn’t support it, but he kept quiet so he didn’t end up like the Romanov family. 

He was fairly good at that, keeping quiet. Heinrich could go his whole life without talking to anyone or anything. Of course, he’d talk when absolutely necessary; however, he preferred to stay silent most days. 

Now, Heinrich has no problem with people whatsoever, his problem is their true intentions. He’s gotten real good about spotting people who have ill intent or have a troubled past. It makes for good conversation. 

“Watch where you’re going!” Some woman had yelled at him. 

“Apologies young miss,” Heinrich mumbled. 

He had bumped into the woman because he was looking down at his feet and not where he was going. He does that a lot. 

The woman’s sharp, shrill voice called him all sorts of names and pulled insults out of thin air. Heinrich paid no mind and continued on his way. He has no recollection of meaning ill intent to the woman, but whatever works for her. The woman turned on her heels with a huff and continued on her way. 

“Thank you Lord,” Heinrich murmured up to the sky. 

Now, this wasn’t really God’s work, I should know, but Heinrich thanked Him anyway. He had a lot more to thank God for other than getting an annoying woman off his heels. 

Heinrich wasn’t the most religious man, but he did believe in the word of God and read the Bible to look for pending questions. He knew God had a plan he just carried out with his days knowing that fact. 

That and God is the reason Heinrich isn’t six feet under. 

He knows that and will always know that, but sometimes he’ll cry out to God asking Him why he’s still alive and how come he isn’t dead. Heinrich of course never gets an answer. All he can do is pray. 

Anyhow, Heinrich’s faith keeps him going and he knows everything will be set soon. At least, he hopes it will be. 

Heinrich knows he’ll never get clear answers, but it doesn’t really prevent questions. He can only hope that he’ll understand in time. 

Wow, this is a really long introduction to Heinrich. Out of all the people I’ve had to be a guardian angel to, this kid takes the cake for longest introduction. Well, he isn’t really a kid, but you all know what I mean. I hope you do at least. 

Oh, I never introduced myself! I’m Merano, Heinrich’s guardian angel. You don’t need to know what I look like, but I guess you can use the imagination that you were blessed with. 

I keep getting reassigned to different kids to watch over because I apparently get too attached, but I haven’t been reassigned to someone new since Heinrich turned six. 

One hundred seventy-six years is a long time for a guardian angel to watch over someone. We usually only stay with one kid for about ten human years, which is about two for angels. 

One hundred seventy-six years is about ten to seventeen years for heavenly beings such as I. That’s quite a long time to stay with one person to watch over and to protect. I’m not going to complain though. Less moving around for me to do. 

Not that I wouldn’t do what He wanted me to do, it’s just nice not to be rushed from kid to kid. 

Anyway, let’s continue this story about Heinrich. That’s why you’re here of course.

This is the first finished part of my book. If there are any mistakes, please inform me.