Dream to Fly Prt. 2 | Teen Ink

Dream to Fly Prt. 2

February 15, 2014
By deafening-fan GOLD, Kutztown, Pennsylvania
deafening-fan GOLD, Kutztown, Pennsylvania
10 articles 1 photo 17 comments

Favorite Quote:
“If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien


Frost bounced across the meadow to the old gnarled oak tree that was rooted near her home. The Oak as she called it, had become her refuge from her mother’s prying eye and venomous comments. Frost had a secret. She wanted to fly. It was a silly notion, for a young earth pony to think about, but Frost’s yearning for it just set her farther and farther from the Bridle Bay ‘norm’.
Frost only had one friend, and that was Asher. They had met young, and Asher had saved Frost’s life. That’s when Frost learned Asher was a unicorn. Asher knew no magic, but he had a gift with metal. He was always building this trinket or that machine. Frost would help him and marveled day and night at his creations. The other ponies of Bridle Bay hated Asher and his uncle, Lord Gloom as they called him, because they were unicorns. The ponies of the Bay were wholly against “mingling” of pegasi and unicorns in their “perfect equestrian society”. Frost hated Bridle Bay, with their stupid rules about the other kinds of ponies, their limitations to seeing the world, and most of all, because they thought Asher and Frost shouldn’t be friends.
Yet they were, and Frost never backed down from their ignorant jests and annoyances at her. They didn’t realize she and Asher were forever to be friends, and that never would change.
Asher had found the Oak and he and Frost had made a tree fort in it. They would go there at night, after school, on weekends, whenever they needed some companion ship. Frost climbed up into the pleasant little lodge and climbed to the very top. This was where she loved to watch the stars with Asher. Tonight the stars were especially clear. They were so bright she thought she could almost hear the twinkling they made. Suddenly, Asher called from below.
“Frost! Frost come down here I need to talk to you!” Frost slid down easily and landed in front of Asher.
“Heya Ash! What’s up?” Frost said.
“Well…..” he sat down and sighed. “I have to leave Bridle Bay.”
“What!? Is it because of what they say? Don’t let them keep talking to you in that way!”
“No! No, no, no, no! You misunderstand me.” He sighed and looked towards his uncle’s mansion. “Uncle told me that there is a place beyond the bay and the forest and the rivers and waterfalls. It’s called Ponyville. There are unicorns and earth ponies and pegasi Frost! And they all live together in peace! My uncle says he wants to stay here, but it’s about time I made my way into the world!”
Frost stared in shock. “Real pegasi? And unicorns?! All living together?! Oh I wish I could go.” Asher stared at his hooves.
“Will you Frost? Will you come away with me to Ponyville?” Asher looked at her hopefully and Frost did a double-take. She stood there, thinking. Go away? From all she’s known? But what an adventure!
“Of course I’ll go! But I’ll need to sneak out. My mom would never let me leave… but this Ponyville sounds amazing!”
“Then it’s settled! You meet me here tomorrow night with all the things you need, and then we’ll go!” Asher waved and zoomed off back to his house. Frost stood there thinking. She looked at the stars. Well, it wasn’t flying, but finally something new!
*

*

*
Frost’s mother was preparing dinner the next night when Frost slipped upstairs. Frost knew she only had a little bit of time left before her mother would notice her absence. Frost gathered her books, pictures, and other belongings and zipped them up in her worn knapsack. She put on her cloak and turned to go downstairs. She trotted silently and left a note on the counter. Without saying a word, Frost slipped out the back door and galloped towards the oak.
Asher was waiting there nervously. He had a satchel and his old brown tweed cap. His eyes lit up at the sight of Frost and he whispered to her urgently.
“Are you sure you want to do this Frost? What about your mom? Your neighbors?”
“Asher, I can’t let an opportunity like this blow away. A place like this sounds amazing!”
Asher smiled his big, rare, wild smile.
“We better be off then!” He laughed and began walking towards the woods with his map. Asher didn’t really know magic, but he could make things move with his horn. It was really helpful. Frost trotted next to him into the familiar woods.


The author's comments:
Part two of my pony fan fiction.