A Drop of Darkness That Made a Heart Go Black | Teen Ink

A Drop of Darkness That Made a Heart Go Black

November 28, 2018
By Brittanyyyg BRONZE, San Jose, California
Brittanyyyg BRONZE, San Jose, California
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Rationale: Tom and Daisy talk about the death of Myrtle and as the story progresses, everything goes from bad to worse. I wrote this story because I wanted to make this scene more mysterious and make a major plot twist. I also decided to write this because I wanted to write Daisy as the villain to give the story a dark ending.

A Drop of Darkness That Made a Heart Go Black

It was a dark and windy night. The only sounds that were heard were the leaves rustling and the wind howling. The kitchen was empty with only a table inside. Everything was white but the table jet black. Tom was sitting down with his head facing the ground as his hands were clasped together on his lap. He looked like a sad, lonely puppy, while Daisy was on the other end of the table her eyes were as hard as stone and her face was expressionless. It was silent until Tom abruptly stood up.

   “Why did he do it? What was his motive! He didn’t even know Myrtle and he went on and killed her!” Tom exclaimed.

   “It was an accident. Gatsby was driving and she just ran up to the car like a wild animal! I was there, I know what happened. Even if it wasn’t, why are you so upset? You didn’t know her either,” responded Daisy.

   “You know what? Let's just forget about everything and pretend like it never happened,” Tom muttered.

   He sat down and put his head in his hands. Thoughts rushed into his mind. Daisy just stared at him and wondered whether to tell him the truth about what had happened. What did she have to lose? He wouldn’t betray his wife, would he? Even if he did, she could just silence him.

“Hey, Tom?” mumbled Daisy.

“What?” asked Tom.

“I did something that might upset you,” she confessed.

“What did you do now?” Tom mumbled.

“I uhm… I kind of hit Myrtle with the car,” she said, her voice fading at the end.

“You what?!?”  he yelled.

He couldn’t believe it, she killed her! He stood up and started pacing, thoughts in and out of his mind. Should he call the police and tell them what he knew? Is he capable of doing that or should he confess a secret of his own as well? He finally decided he should tell her his own secret. All while Daisy looked at him like she was planning to murder him.

“I did know Myrtle, I was with her,” Tom blurted out.

Well well well, that’s who he had been seeing. She wasn’t surprised, she knew he was having an affair she just didn’t know with who.

“I know,” Daisy said calmly.

“You know? How did you know? I made sure I didn’t leave any type of evidence to connect me to her,” he ranted.

“Everyone knew you were having an affair Tom. It was obvious,” she sighed.

Tom stood there, dumbfounded. Was she going to kill him? She was always violent. He didn’t know what to do. If he told the police he would get in big trouble for keeping this a secret, but then so would Daisy for killing Myrtle.

“You know….we can blame this all on Gatsby. We could also pay people to not say a word about this. We can move to the little town your parents live in and start a new life, until this all calms down,” Daisy suggested.

Was she being serious right now? He never liked Gatsby, but he couldn’t frame him for a crime he didn’t commit. He eventually went along with the plan just so that he would be safe from the wrath that was expected from Daisy, but she had other plans in mind. She would just call George and tell him she knew who had killed Myrtle and have him kill Gatsby. So she did exactly that.

After about thirty minutes Wilson arrived at the Buchanan house, a gun in hand and a crazed look on his face. He was sweating as if he had ran a marathon in a minute. He slammed his fists on the door, wanting to knock it down. Once Daisy opened the door he burst in. Tom was in the kitchen when George got in.

“So who was it? Who killed her? Tell me! Tell me now!” yelled George.

Should she blame it on Gatsby or Tom? She never loved them anyway so there wasn’t really something bad that could come out of it.

“Gatsby did it. It was his car that ran her over, I-I I tried to stop him but the car moved too fast and she was already on the road. I’m so sorry,” she cried.

“Oh that little piece of-,” George was interrupted by a sudden thought.

He ran off and was headed towards Gatsby's house. Suddenly Daisy heard a quiet voice. Tom was on the phone with someone. She overheard just enough to know that he was about to tell them she was the one who killed Myrtle. She had enough, she got a gun from a drawer and fired it. She nearly got his head but missed by an inch and got his ear instead. He screamed. She assumed that whoever was on the phone was either going to call the police or was the police so she screamed as well.

“George! No! Don’t kill him! Stop!” she wailed.

Tom was about to say something but she shot him before he did and cut the line to whoever he was talking to. She then drove to Gatsby's place in Tom's blue car to check if George had done what she had planned. At the same time she got out of her car she heard a gunshot, and a couple minutes later she heard another. She walked up the stairs and into Gatsby's house where she found both of their bodies lying on the ground, lifeless. The deed was done and she was content. She ran to her car and called the police. She started crying to make it seem as if she had lost the people she loved. She told the police that George had just shot Tom, Gatsby and then himself.

The police got there in five minutes and she got blamed for nothing. She was brought in for questioning and told her story. George came into her house, shot Tom, and said something about an affair, then said he was gonna kill Gatsby, which he did and then shot himself. They believed her and she was released. She lived her life as usual after the whole Myrtle incident. The thought of being responsible for four deaths didn’t make her feel guilty. Instead, she smiled and walked away from everything and everyone she once knew.