The Joy of Softball | Teen Ink

The Joy of Softball

By kdales SILVER, Defiance, Ohio
kdales SILVER, Defiance, Ohio

I’m up to bat; the game is tied. Coach comes over to me, and he gives me a pep talk. Even though I know he is talking, all I can think about is hitting the ball. When my coach is done talking I walk over to the plate. I look down at the white dirty plate and take a beep breath.  I take a glance at the pitcher standing confidently on the pitching mound. I realize that the pitcher is going to come at me with her best pitch. I looked away, and then right back at coach. He said, “be ready for a high, inside fastball!”  I looked at him and nodded nervously. Finally, I take my stance in the batters box.  The pitcher starts her motion, I remembered what coach said and relaxed my grip. CRACK, before I knew it the ball was in the outfield. I made it to first very easily. While rounding first I saw that center field over threw it to the pitcher. I ran to second base. I looked over at my third base coach, he is telling me to come. I glanced behind me and I saw the ball was in the middle of the out-field. I sprinted for third. When I got there I herd my coach say, “Go home, go home!”  I made it home. We won the game! I could hear everyone cheering.  I was filled with joy and excitement. I realized that there are many things that bring my happiness, but some people don’t have happiness in their life. Everyone should be able to do the things that fill him or her with joy and excitement.  There are many things that bring me joy in my life, but I wish everyone can feel the same I do when I am playing softball.