Epilogue for Lord of the Flies | Teen Ink

Epilogue for Lord of the Flies

By hobo12321 PLATINUM, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
hobo12321 PLATINUM, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

none, there's too many, although the one about the grapefruit is good. Any by Douglas Adams

Ralph looked back onto the island from the deck of the ship. Flames rose into the sky. He watched as the palm trees slowly caught fire and burned. The sky overhead filled with smoke, until it looked like night. Then Ralph looked forward. The ship was full of naval officer’s running back and forth, helping the boys onto the ship. Ralph could almost forget that the boys were savages and had been trying to kill him. Now, however, they just looked like lost children.
On Ralph’s left stood the naval officer who had rescued the boys. He was busy contacting more boats and bases to tell them that the missing British boys had been found. Ralph looked on in awe of the activity around him, shocked that the world could still be organized and civilized.
“His name was Piggy,” Ralph said, and the officer looked up in surprise. “You need to find his aunt.” The officer nodded, and Ralph was relieved.
“You’ll get back all right (pg 113),” Simon’s words echoed in Ralph’s mind. Ralph thought of all the hardships he’d been through, and the cruelties he’d witnessed, until he couldn’t think anymore. He would get back all right, and soon he would see his family. He would take a bath.

On the opposite side of the ship, Jack was also looking back at the burning island. He ignored everyone and everything around him. He watched with a sort of hunger as the fire consumed the island. He was proud of himself then, because if he had not set the island ablaze, they wouldn’t be going home. They would all be stuck on the island.
Only, once he got home, he wouldn’t be chief, he’d just be Jack, who could sing high C.
Jack wiped his eyes one last time to make sure the fire hadn’t caused him to cry again. He thought of going home, but there was something about the island that kept drawing his attention to it. He watched the brilliant flames eat away everything, slowly taking over Jack’s mind with hungry fire.

I had to write this for a school essay, but I thought it was actually pretty cool. It goes with William Golding's Lord of the Flies