Twilight by Stephenie Meyer | Teen Ink

Twilight by Stephenie Meyer MAG

May 30, 2008
By Anonymous

I was never in love with vampires until Twilight came out. I didn’t know it was possible, but Stephenie Meyer changed the stereotypical blood-sucking vampire into a beautiful god-like creature.

In Twilight, an average high school girl, Bella Swan, falls in love with one of the most beautiful boys at her new school, Edward, who happens to be a vampire. What does one call a stunning, mysterious vampire and his stunning, mysterious vampire family? I believe “The Cullens” would suffice.

The author’s style and characters will glue your hands to the book and your eyes to the page. In no time, the book is over. But don’t worry – there are three sequels: New Moon, Eclipse, and Breaking Dawn.

Twilight is well written from Bella’s point of view. It feels as though a movie is playing in your head. If you don’t feel that way, have no fear, the actual movie comes out November 21.

Twilight is such a magnificent book that it was a New York Times bestseller. Who would have thought that the idea for such an astonishing book could come from a dream the author had?

The theme is love conquers all, even the supernatural. Nothing stands in the way of love for Edward and Bella. Or does it?

Meyer’s style of writing will have you wanting to believe that there are gorgeous vampires roaming our world and just hopefully there will be Edwards for all of the girls who have fallen in love with this fictional yet breathtaking character. Since the characters’ love is forbidden, it only makes it better. ­After all, forbidden fruit tastes the sweetest.



Similar Articles

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 723 comments.


on Mar. 5 2010 at 9:53 pm
katy_valentine BRONZE, Eldersburg, Maryland
3 articles 0 photos 4 comments
I love you two, and I agree completely. The adjectives she uses are overused and flat. The plot had some potential, but... yeah. I recommend reading 100 Reasons I Hate Twilight. It's something I think that's on fictionpress , google it and it should come up. It's pretty hilarious. <br />
However, the review was well written and creative. Kudos to the author.

on Mar. 5 2010 at 7:32 pm
magic-esi PLATINUM, Hyde Park, New York
27 articles 0 photos 231 comments

Favorite Quote:
"The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one."
"Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if only one remembers to turn on the light."

What do you mean, there are no adjectives? What about that 'sparkling perfect handsome shiny smooth amazing' that she adds every other sentence? :)

I agree with you, Twilight is horrible and Edward Cullen sucks. Oh, wait- no, he doesn't. He's too kind and innocent to be an actual vampire.

on Feb. 27 2010 at 4:30 pm
AnneOnnimous BRONZE, Peterborough Ontario, Other
3 articles 0 photos 146 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Saying 'I notice you're a nerd' is like saying, 'Hey, I notice that you'd rather be intelligent than be stupid, that you'd rather be thoughtful than be vapid, that you believe that there are things that matter more than the arrest record of Lindsay Lohan. Why is that?' In fact, it seems to me that most contemporary insults are pretty lame. Even 'lame' is kind of lame. Saying 'You're lame' is like saying 'You walk with a limp.' Yeah, whatever, so does 50 Cent, and he's done all right for himself."
— John Green

thanks, finally someone who knows the truth!! Rowling's bad guys and good guys are deep people, with complex emotions and motives, not just fluff characters like Meyer's. Rowling is confident about her writing; when there is action, or an epic battle, she makes it completely worthwhile. Meyer, on the other hand, was unable to write anything worthwhile, especially an epic battle; hence she created the boring and ridiculous climax of Breaking Dawn

on Feb. 27 2010 at 3:00 pm
yesimdarrian101 BRONZE, Millville, New Jersey
3 articles 0 photos 17 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Everything may not be perfect, but at least we tried." Stephen Jerzak/Chase Coy

I don't understand why everyone seems to hate the twilight saga. I read thos ebooks like three billion times and thought they were amazing! the twilight movie wasn't really like the book, but it was decent. new moon was pretty amazing though. :)

on Feb. 27 2010 at 1:25 pm
AlexandraRose BRONZE, Port Hardy, Other
1 article 0 photos 41 comments
sorry about saying i disagree with every one because when i has read this i only read the first few comments but it appears that there are some sain minded people out there! =]

on Feb. 27 2010 at 1:23 pm
AlexandraRose BRONZE, Port Hardy, Other
1 article 0 photos 41 comments
NONE!!!!!!

on Feb. 27 2010 at 1:22 pm
AlexandraRose BRONZE, Port Hardy, Other
1 article 0 photos 41 comments
I agree completely JohnBosworth! And readlikecrazy10 you are right in a way. Lots of people like romances (I am one of them). But just because its a romance that doesn't give it an excuse to be poorly written with no character structure. Also there are lots of great romances that HAVE a plot, actual characters and real writing using adjectives other than beautiful. One example of a romance writer who can actually write is Nicholas Sparks. readlikecrazy10 since your so sensitive and you just love romances maybe you should try him.

on Feb. 27 2010 at 1:10 pm
AlexandraRose BRONZE, Port Hardy, Other
1 article 0 photos 41 comments
I agree with AnneOnnimous J.k. Rowling is an actual writer not a stupid wannabe like Stephanie Meyer who only writes about her dreams. And J.K. Rowling has characters that grow and change and develop. In Harry Potter there are the usual good guys/bad guys. But the more you read and the more involved you get with the lives of those at Hogwarts you discover that some of those ''bad guys'' weren't actually bad. And that there's more to the ''good guys'' than meets the eye. Twilight is the exact opposite of all that i just said.

on Feb. 27 2010 at 12:33 pm
AlexandraRose BRONZE, Port Hardy, Other
1 article 0 photos 41 comments
I completely and utterly disagree with every one in this. Meyer's writing is TERRIBLE. there are no adjectives, no synonyms and absolutely nothing that even resembles well structured characters. I am one of those people who cannot read a poorly written book. If it is an extremely good plot then i can sometimes suffer thru the bad writing. Twilight and its sequels were all terrible. When you state that Bella is an ''average'' high school girl you forgot to mention the fact that she is uncommonly beautiful, EVERY boy in the school is in love with her, she is extremely smart and actually a little vain. But in Meyer's attempt to make her ''human'' Bella is also very clumsy (which is her only fault). The first time I read Twilight I was amazed I couldn't put it down. The same went for New Moon, Eclipse, and Breaking Dawn. But when I tried to re-read the serious I couldn't get past the first chapter. So sufficed in saying Twilight is anything but a good book.

on Feb. 26 2010 at 9:16 pm
Andrea Williams BRONZE, Avondale Estates, Georgia
1 article 0 photos 2 comments
I totally agree. I hate Steph meyer but the plot for Twilight (only Twilight...) is really good.... I didn't bother reading Breaking Dawn after everyone told me about it... IT HAD NO CLIMAX... so technically, it wasn't even a story....

AveryG13 GOLD said...
on Feb. 24 2010 at 12:32 pm
AveryG13 GOLD, Dexter, Michigan
12 articles 1 photo 92 comments

Favorite Quote:
"The best thing to do with the best things in life, is to give them up to those who have nothing."
- Ambrose Bierce

i totally agree with you

on Feb. 24 2010 at 5:59 am
juicyfan6 BRONZE, Mount Laurel, New Jersey
1 article 0 photos 46 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I solemnly swear that I am up to no good." - J.K. Rowling

I thought the twilight movie was ok... I didn't love it or anything, but it is hard to squeeze a 500 page book into a 2 hour movie. New moon movie was wayyyy better... The acting seemed better--the characters were so much more believable.

AveryG13 GOLD said...
on Feb. 23 2010 at 4:41 pm
AveryG13 GOLD, Dexter, Michigan
12 articles 1 photo 92 comments

Favorite Quote:
"The best thing to do with the best things in life, is to give them up to those who have nothing."
- Ambrose Bierce

Stephanie Meyer's writing is magnificent, and the movie sucked. The cast was terrible and the plot did not follow the book AT ALL. New Moon was at least decent.

AveryG13 GOLD said...
on Feb. 23 2010 at 4:39 pm
AveryG13 GOLD, Dexter, Michigan
12 articles 1 photo 92 comments

Favorite Quote:
"The best thing to do with the best things in life, is to give them up to those who have nothing."
- Ambrose Bierce

her writing does not suck, and the movie was terrible. it wasn't like the book AT ALL and it was terrible casting. New Moon was atleast decent.

on Feb. 23 2010 at 8:14 am
suavell northern, Bolingbrook, Illinois
0 articles 0 photos 2 comments
her writing sucked but the movie was good

Riley141 GOLD said...
on Feb. 22 2010 at 3:19 pm
Riley141 GOLD, Yale, Michigan
13 articles 3 photos 145 comments

Favorite Quote:
" Always do right. This will gratifiy some people and astonish the rest." Mark Twain

I totaly agree I hated her writing but the plot was good.....and I agree that Breaking Dawn was terrible. I give her credit thought, it was the first serious she wrote

AveryG13 GOLD said...
on Feb. 22 2010 at 12:16 pm
AveryG13 GOLD, Dexter, Michigan
12 articles 1 photo 92 comments

Favorite Quote:
"The best thing to do with the best things in life, is to give them up to those who have nothing."
- Ambrose Bierce

Her writing is magnificent, but i agree with you on Breaking Dawn: it was terrible.

on Feb. 20 2010 at 1:09 pm
AnneOnnimous BRONZE, Peterborough Ontario, Other
3 articles 0 photos 146 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Saying 'I notice you're a nerd' is like saying, 'Hey, I notice that you'd rather be intelligent than be stupid, that you'd rather be thoughtful than be vapid, that you believe that there are things that matter more than the arrest record of Lindsay Lohan. Why is that?' In fact, it seems to me that most contemporary insults are pretty lame. Even 'lame' is kind of lame. Saying 'You're lame' is like saying 'You walk with a limp.' Yeah, whatever, so does 50 Cent, and he's done all right for himself."
— John Green

I never said that the fact that i did not enjoy twilight was due to my high reading level. I will say, however, that the writing is nothing very good. My mom is an author and she- and all her writer friends- agree that Jk Rowling can write, Stephenie Meyer can't really. However, of course it is personal preference as to which one you prefer.

on Feb. 19 2010 at 7:29 am
Piper_at_the_gates SILVER, Kennebunk, Maine
6 articles 0 photos 14 comments
It's not a matter of who's wrong or right here. You have a different opinion than I. I agree the book was incredibly easy, I read it in less than two days. The writing in Harry Potter is actually very similar to that of Twilight. Many people would agree with me that the story is very unique, but J.K. Rowling could use a class or two in the writing skill.

Let's not forget that you are not the only one with high reading levels here. I, too, have very high levels. The fact that you didn't find the storyline of Twilight entertaining is merely a point of view.

on Feb. 18 2010 at 5:18 pm
juicyfan6 BRONZE, Mount Laurel, New Jersey
1 article 0 photos 46 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I solemnly swear that I am up to no good." - J.K. Rowling

I think that Twilight has a great plot -- I just don't think Stephenie Meyer is a very good writer. A lot of people have read Twilight though, and her work sells. I happened to like Twilight (even though the writing was atrocious)... I hated Breaking Dawn, though.