Twilight by Stephenie Meyer | Teen Ink

Twilight by Stephenie Meyer MAG

I was never in love with vampires until Twilight came out. I didn’t know it was possible, but Stephenie Meyer changed the stereotypical blood-sucking vampire into a beautiful god-like creature.

In Twilight, an average high school girl, Bella Swan, falls in love with one of the most beautiful boys at her new school, Edward, who happens to be a vampire. What does one call a stunning, mysterious vampire and his stunning, mysterious vampire family? I believe “The Cullens” would suffice.

The author’s style and characters will glue your hands to the book and your eyes to the page. In no time, the book is over. But don’t worry – there are three sequels: New Moon, Eclipse, and Breaking Dawn.

Twilight is well written from Bella’s point of view. It feels as though a movie is playing in your head. If you don’t feel that way, have no fear, the actual movie comes out November 21.

Twilight is such a magnificent book that it was a New York Times bestseller. Who would have thought that the idea for such an astonishing book could come from a dream the author had?

The theme is love conquers all, even the supernatural. Nothing stands in the way of love for Edward and Bella. Or does it?

Meyer’s style of writing will have you wanting to believe that there are gorgeous vampires roaming our world and just hopefully there will be Edwards for all of the girls who have fallen in love with this fictional yet breathtaking character. Since the characters’ love is forbidden, it only makes it better. ­After all, forbidden fruit tastes the sweetest.

on Jan. 9 2010 at 3:24 pm
Karma_Chameleon SILVER, English, Indiana

To be able to say "I love you" one must first be able to say "I" - Ayn Rand

John, you hit the nail on the head. What has the world come to when such a thin piece of writting (I refuse to grant it the term literature) becomes a global phenomenon. I only pray that it is merely a pathetic and mind-numbing bandwagon that is effecting hopless tweens, and not a reflection of the future of world literature. I wrote a slightly different review, if you would care to read it...

on Jan. 9 2010 at 2:24 pm
Forever13 BRONZE, Topeka, Kansas

i have to many to name.

I completely agree, the working is horrible but, while I was reading The Twilight series, I noticed that Bella and Edward fell in love so fast. It wasnt your usual love story. Every time you turn around someone is after Bella trying to kill her. Of course what girl would not want a sparkling man to be hanging around with? He is fictional though and will never love a human except Bella.

The book shows that love can over come things and that everyone can find love, even an old vampire.

on Jan. 9 2010 at 1:40 pm
TheStoryWeaver GOLD, Sofia, Other

"The Aenied is an Odyssey of epic proportions." - Caleb
"Eve was deceived and ate the fruit, Adam ate it out of stupidity." - Mr. M
"Begone ye map of woe!"
"I'm the map..." - Lydia and Caleb.

mine is eclipse too. twilight's okay, i don't really like new moon because it doesn't have much action and jacob turns into a jerk. (no offense) i would like breaking dawn if it had more about alice. she is one of my favorite characters.

on Jan. 6 2010 at 8:39 pm
Shambler92 PLATINUM, Buenos Aires, Other
completely agree with you. the writing and the plot are both terrible and pathetic. This is not literature. It's just childish and superficial writing. you think that someone who studied literature in college would have a better approach at the art of writing. People should read more Paul Auster and less Meyer.

on Jan. 5 2010 at 6:23 pm
JohnBosworth GOLD, Midland, Texas

"I am Jack's smirking revenge"

You, me, and the 3 other people on the earth that dont worship Twilight should start a club.

on Jan. 5 2010 at 6:22 pm
JohnBosworth GOLD, Midland, Texas

"I am Jack's smirking revenge"

100 percent agreed.

on Jan. 5 2010 at 6:20 pm
JohnBosworth GOLD, Midland, Texas

"I am Jack's smirking revenge"

I'm sorry but I beg to differ regarding the whole article. In fact, I fear for modern literature today as I see all of you swooning and adoring this pathetic excuse for a novel. First, I would like to point out that the characters are unoriginal and cliche'. Bella is nothing but a whiny, moppy, bratty little toerag who only displays two emotions, which are "OHMYGOD HOT VAMP!" And "OMYGOD HOT VAMP LEFT NOW I CUT MYSELF! The plotline is unoriginal and lacks many things (trials, errors, things that exist besides Edwards apparant beauty). I mean, vampires? Thats something that everyone's familiar with (and when I say everyone I mean everyone). And last, I would like so say that the writing is, frankly, pathetic. Meyer uses the word "flawless" every other paragraph, and her first person narrative contradicts itself many times. The book also unintentionally makes fun of itself and its awfulness. I mean, I'm 14 and I can write better than her. It just saddens me that this decade will be remembered as the decade of sparkly vampires.

stargirl89 said...
on Jan. 5 2010 at 6:19 pm
I have not read the twilight saga yet but jugging from all the good and bad things that I have just read and all the talk about the saga I plan to in the near future!!!!

MatthewZ said...
on Jan. 4 2010 at 8:16 pm
nice! look at my poem plz? http ://www.teenink .com /poetry/free_verse/article/156195/Airplanes/ rate and comment plz! thanks a million!

on Dec. 26 2009 at 2:51 pm
justbreathe.... BRONZE, N/a, South Carolina

No matter how bad things get, there is always something that you don\'t know about just yet.

I agree. Not purely because I want some hot, well cold actually, century old vampire to come and sweep me off of my feet. Stephenies raw talent and voice (in Eclipse particularly) is what inspired me to become a writer myself. Besides, I am totally Team Jacob!:P

KateRenee. said...
on Dec. 20 2009 at 10:59 pm
okay. you guys are just like going through this and basically ripping this book apart. i read these comments and i hear that this book is either amazing or terrible and they have this battle over it as if trying to convince the other that they are right but people, this is a BOOK you are talking about here not a life or death matter

on Dec. 20 2009 at 6:37 pm
nikki..(: BRONZE, OKC, Oklahoma

IDK

I LUV TWILIGHT 100% IM ON TEMA EDWARD ALL THE WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

=]

kariegiirl12 said...
on Dec. 20 2009 at 6:14 pm
i like twilight alot and the whole series lol

oceansdust said...
on Dec. 20 2009 at 5:38 pm
KristenStewart is most likely an imposter. the chances of it being the real Kristen Stewart is zero.

on Dec. 20 2009 at 2:47 pm
bella describes herself as just normal..not pretty and not ugly, but when she moves to forks the boys there see that she is very pretty and they want to go out with her although she denies them in the end of breaking dawn she realizes that she realy is pretty

on Dec. 20 2009 at 2:43 pm
yeah well miss im 17 whats YOUR deffintion of vampires. not a dictoinary YOURS and YOURS only?

mine is (and im 13) a mythical creature that is drawn to the sent of human blood and preys durring the night. many books about vamps are popular in modern times

and i hapen to LOVE twilight and have read them like 40 times each

ROSALIEHALE said...
on Dec. 20 2009 at 2:38 pm
um twilight was published first

and stephanie deniyed any copiing of ANY book like literaly tru blood came in like 2005 when twilight was in 2003

rosaliehale said...
on Dec. 20 2009 at 2:36 pm
u've only read them each 4 times ive read them like 40 TIMES EACH!

on Dec. 20 2009 at 10:40 am
hey ppl what book is your fave book of the twilight series mine is ecilpse or breaking dawn whats yours

on Dec. 20 2009 at 10:35 am
thank u pppl i have some friends who hate twilight but it seems like there is a lot of twilight lovers here!