Daddy's Womb This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

i asked my father if i could swim,
and he said that i would drown.
The Sea would imprison me – he said
if my feet had left the ground.

So i walked out to the water,
and cried out – how ’bout now!
He said, a little bit further, Son,
and then you’ll leave the ground.

i stepped on sand then stone,
from hollow ground to sturdy.
The sky was at my level as I
gazed at the birdie.

The Sea brought me a new idea,
the urge to flee to the high.

i asked my Father if i could fly,
and he said, sure, Son – go try.

i jumped as high as i could.
Still, i landed on the ground.
i saw my Father pull on a chain,
then i knew that i was bound.

crich897 said...
Jan. 7, 2009 at 12:57 am:
Yo, DUDE, why am I the only one getting bashed here? Which of my criticisms was not constructive or offering uplifting advice? Sure, I was a bit critical. Many others were very much more critical than I, however. Sorry, geez.

hitthelights93 said...
ummmm so i was thinking that people should stop hating in their comments.

and stop leaving comments saying you don't like the rhyme scheme or how it's formatted. does it really, honestly matter? he was just putting his feelings into a poem, like most of the people here, and you're going to say you don't like it's format? no. if i wrote this, i'd say "okay and i care why?..."
we're not professionals here. we're TEENAGERS. we don't have to try and impress anybody. ... (more »)

kitkatpoem said...
Yo, crich897, lay off dude. It's one thing to say you don't like a poem but it's quite another thing to be very rude about it a repeat you thoughts over again; and again and again and again!!! Just reading your comentssss gives me headaches! "i" for one love this poem and the "i"'s, so dude, lay off. Word_addict is right, you are not; get over it.

PS: Yo, crich897, is ma gwamer wong dud, "i" dnt dink so.

RGallagher said...
Kinda confusing. It has potential, but in my opinion, it still needs works.

Not to mention the 12 capitalized I's made me want to cry. I don't think this should've been published like that. No self respecting publisher that I'm aware of would allow this to get through like that.

lollygager101 said...
Jan. 1, 2009 at 6:55 am:
wow this poem has alot of emtion to me. I really enjoyed reading this awesome poem.

c.c. said...
Dec. 31, 2008 at 3:21 am:
Jeez, there're a lot of comments! Sorry, I marked my TeenInk mail as spam. Luckily I decided to stop by and check it out. Finally on winter brake... Sorry to those of you who actually wanted to have an intelligent conversation about poetry; I had eighteen credits this semester. Anyway, you should just leave your criticism - no questions. I probably won't get 'em or answer them if you don't have a poem for me to read. C ya, and Happy New Years!

BeatleMania said...
Dec. 28, 2008 at 12:14 am:
Bravo! The concept and overall style of writing was well-mastered and consistent. Sure, we'll never know if the grammatical errors were intentional, and if not, only bear in mind that consistency is key. I love the feelings of rebellion of a child's dreams that were so briliantly portrayed. Again, keep writing. Everyone can put pen to paper, but only a few people can make masterpieces.
.:-BeatleMania-:.
PS. If you find the time, please read my poem (in Teen Ink Raw) called Theatre of... (more »)

PianoGal129 said...
I love the way you used the word 'imprison'. The rhyme scheme was excellent and the poem left me feeling satisfied which is always good. Is this about your relationship with your father? Or did you just write it on a whim?

leahgal831 said...
Dec. 26, 2008 at 7:32 am:
I thought this was a wonderfully written free verse, but did not enjoy the ending very much.

ebony_is_beautiful_1 said...
Dec. 26, 2008 at 6:49 am:
Listen, this poem may sound nice when read aloud. It may flow and some parts may ryhm, but it is not the best poem entered in this contest. I find it confusing (and not in the "wow, that is so abstract!" kind of way), and in some places contradictory of itself. (Not to mention the errors that should have been caught in a proof-reading.) I would not bother to leave such constructive crtisism if the poem had not been on the top for so many days. It is time to let some other pieces rise -... (more »)

maria-chan said...
I think I would've enjoyed this poem more if there had a purpose to it. It started out strong and I could relate, but then I totally lost you. Work on it some more.

julia said...
hey crich897,
do you try to go to every poem just to criticize it? how about you try writing a poem

longtermaddict said...
Ok, so I love writing reviews, but this one has got to be the hardest. On one level, it's vastly immature and hard to follow. The structure is alright, but the content is all wrong. A. It has an immaturity like I've never seen in a teen poem. It's boring and unoriginal and I think it could use a lot of work. For instance, kicking up the maturity level. You ARE a teenager.
B. I found it very hard to follow, as I said before. I, being a teenage poet myself, can critique this poem to an incr... (more »)

ktshrimp18 said...
Dec. 19, 2008 at 2:04 am:
I really liked this poem and how you expressed yourself. Keep writing! : )

word_addict said...
Dec. 19, 2008 at 1:26 am:
wow, crich897... you're just a poetry genius, aren't you? you can have your opinions, but you don't have to be so rude and downright belligerent about them.

personally, i like the poem a lot. im sure many kids can relate to the message, i know i can. its beautifully written :] keep up the amazing work, i'd love to read more.

JelloGoMoo said...
This is a really nice poem and it makes me smile even if all the others say the part about the chain makes them sad or something. You're great even if the spelling might be bad. xP

beginningpoet said...
That was such a beautiful poem. Keep it up.

crich897 said...
word_addict: Yes, I was pretty critical of the piece. But the criticism was solely constructive - for use as a help further down the road. I don't know if you noticed, but I encouraged Carl at the end to keep on writing and see what else he can come up with! My comment was nowhere near as spiteful as "longtermaddict"'s is. Please read the entire comment before being a jerk.

BellaEzrebetFang said...
It's like you're given hope and then you're pulled back again. :(

arielle said...
Dec. 17, 2008 at 1:31 am:
nice carl--i feel horrible about all the bad comments...it's definitely just because they're jealous :D Amazing Job!!