Daddy's Womb This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

i asked my father if i could swim,
and he said that i would drown.
The Sea would imprison me – he said
if my feet had left the ground.

So i walked out to the water,
and cried out – how ’bout now!
He said, a little bit further, Son,
and then you’ll leave the ground.

i stepped on sand then stone,
from hollow ground to sturdy.
The sky was at my level as I
gazed at the birdie.

The Sea brought me a new idea,
the urge to flee to the high.

i asked my Father if i could fly,
and he said, sure, Son – go try.

i jumped as high as i could.
Still, i landed on the ground.
i saw my Father pull on a chain,
then i knew that i was bound.

jaydd said...
this all made sense till the "dad pulling chain" part! it was funny and cool i thought it was going into "growing older and your dad didnt want you to leave" then BAM your dads trying to drag you down

Samuel said...
Jan. 30, 2009 at 12:28 am:
I feel disgraced. You're all supposed writers or literary fans yet you abuse and make mockery of a grand language! The poem itself is good, but honestly, the 'I's? You couldn't capitalize them? That infuriates me beyond manifestation of words. So perhaps I'll write a poem on my discontent. Good day, grammar murderer.

K.kissy face said...
hey honestly i believe that the poem came from what you were thinking because i mean poems are just thoughts and you cant let people judge those thoughts if you liked your poem that is all that really counts so write more and when your famous for your writing look down on all those who judged you and see where they are in 15 years okay so keep trying because i think you write beautifully and remember write for yourself not for others!

blackswan said...
Jan. 28, 2009 at 1:41 am:
thats amazing ur really good

Peaceseeker said...
I don't feel that you really tried. i'm sure that if you really tried you could be an excilent writer someday but right now you need to get your mind in the right place.

daniellemriexo said...
eyy cr im from SI too lmoo i <3 youre poem!!!

JustMeBnI said...
Jan. 26, 2009 at 3:26 am:
its definetly different lol but isnt that what poetry is> trying to write emotions and feeling into words?

Em.Dog.95 said...
Jan. 25, 2009 at 2:41 am:
Wow. that's beautiful

irishpride. said...
Jan. 23, 2009 at 1:11 am:
Wow, this was a beautiful poem. I read it over a few times, it's very nice. :]

babygirl792 said...
I love this poem..its really nice..u r very talented

angelalynn said...
Jan. 21, 2009 at 1:10 am:
Wow! that was really great, your very talented

The Otherworldlies said...
Wonderful piece, Carl. Since I have ADHD, my mind sometimes refuses to stay rapt when in class, or reading-- But this poem captivated my attention. It was great. I'd like to also note that I absolutely adored your use of slant rhyme. -Ally

aaron said...
hey, check my poem out.
TeenInk.com/Poetry/article/14111/Cozy/
great job!

maylin said...
Carl I enjoyed the poem. I especially loved the ending, "then i knew that i was bound." the ending delivers the final punch, and the whole poem prepares one for this powerful and revealing ending.

Jim R. said...
Great poem carl. Some people are just mad because their poem isn't number one. Trust me, you won't get any meaningful criticism on here. only a bunch of haterz..
check out my fictional piece: TeenInk.com/Fiction/article/16690/Dreams/

c.c. said...
oruga101,

No, I'm not cocky. I'm simple human! I know I have a lot to learn and a long way to go, but I will not sit quietly by and let anymore take away from my success! By the way, good isn't the best or the greatest! Don't confused arrogance with confidence.

Now can we please just talk about POETRY!

oruga101 said...
Jan. 20, 2009 at 4:31 am:
Carl:

"And yes, I am a junior in college and I’m Editor-In-Chief of my college’s literary magazine and I got a 4.0, and blah blah blah blah blah—so yea, I think I know what I’m doing! I’m a good poet and a good human being. "

All I have to say is WOW. Now I understand why your writing ability is where it is! It's because you let yourself become cocky. Once you decide you are good, you become the worst. It's a good lesson.<... (more »)

Josephine Demme said...
Carl, that was AMAZING! it was beautifully written and worded! wow

poetess123 said...
Hey R. Gallagher you can back off now. Just because you may be envious doesn't mean that you can go around knocking other people's work.

And, Carl, that poem was lovely, almost lyrical. Keep it up, and consider it as a career!

melinda13 said...
Carl,
don't listen to the people's criticism. you did a great job of writing the poem, better than i could ever write one. my dream is to actually write a poem that's meaningful and that actually makes sense. great job again!
melinda13