Daddy's Womb This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

i asked my father if i could swim,
and he said that i would drown.
The Sea would imprison me – he said
if my feet had left the ground.

So i walked out to the water,
and cried out – how ’bout now!
He said, a little bit further, Son,
and then you’ll leave the ground.

i stepped on sand then stone,
from hollow ground to sturdy.
The sky was at my level as I
gazed at the birdie.

The Sea brought me a new idea,
the urge to flee to the high.

i asked my Father if i could fly,
and he said, sure, Son – go try.

i jumped as high as i could.
Still, i landed on the ground.
i saw my Father pull on a chain,
then i knew that i was bound.

Doesn'tCapitalizei'sEither said...
Feb. 9, 2009 at 2:44 am:
I agree with "Thoughts." Capitalization is important but I often use it to emphasize. Just because an "i" isn't capitalized doesn't make the poem bad. It's called a poetic license people.

I loved the poem itself. It was deep and I liked the sort of irony that the title brings. Overall wonderful poem

Thoughts said...
Feb. 8, 2009 at 5:33 pm:
I completely disagree with Samuel (his post below). Capitalization is very important in poetry and by not writing "I" in capitalization it made it more powerful.

Posted by Samuel (Below)
I feel disgraced. You're all supposed writers or literary fans yet you abuse and make mockery of a grand language! The poem itself is good, but honestly, the 'I's? You couldn't capitalize them? That infuriates me beyond manifestation of words. So perhaps I'll write a... (more »)

Anna23 said...
Feb. 8, 2009 at 2:01 am:
Wow, that was really good.

I'm impressed!:)

Perfectionist47 said...
Feb. 8, 2009 at 12:08 am:
My parents are open-minded to, but sometimes I restrict myself when I get scared. Reading this poem was basically the battles I have with myself. I loved it!

beautiful mind said...
Feb. 7, 2009 at 7:42 pm:
i see that really anyone who want to express his feelo
so that he can by writing
imagining ..the more he/she fell the more she /he write- this peom reflect what iam saying

jessica marie said...
Feb. 7, 2009 at 6:50 am:
To everyone who said you didnt try or you didnt do a good job. they dont know anything. the point of poetry is to let the writer express themselves, if you are happy with it then does it matter what some loser thinks? i dont think so. i hope you continue to write and let people hear your voice. very powerful and relatable. you might also like allpoetry.com fellow writes would enjoy your writing.

Emster29 said...
I totally thought it expressed your feelings and thats AMAZING. Even though I don't agree with everything you said (my parents are pretty open minded) I thought it rocked!

mysteriousmiss said...
i just want to reply to samuel's "infuriated" comment. I believe poetry is about how the person feels and the symbolism. you don't necessarily need big words for a poem. that makes it dry and boring. and it's okay if the capitalization and grammar is bad too. what matters is what the author was revealing about a part of their mind.

it was a very good poem. ^^ thanks for sharing it with us.

pink pod said...
I think that was funny

jaydd said...
this all made sense till the "dad pulling chain" part! it was funny and cool i thought it was going into "growing older and your dad didnt want you to leave" then BAM your dads trying to drag you down

Samuel said...
Jan. 30, 2009 at 12:28 am:
I feel disgraced. You're all supposed writers or literary fans yet you abuse and make mockery of a grand language! The poem itself is good, but honestly, the 'I's? You couldn't capitalize them? That infuriates me beyond manifestation of words. So perhaps I'll write a poem on my discontent. Good day, grammar murderer.

K.kissy face said...
hey honestly i believe that the poem came from what you were thinking because i mean poems are just thoughts and you cant let people judge those thoughts if you liked your poem that is all that really counts so write more and when your famous for your writing look down on all those who judged you and see where they are in 15 years okay so keep trying because i think you write beautifully and remember write for yourself not for others!

blackswan said...
Jan. 28, 2009 at 1:41 am:
thats amazing ur really good

Peaceseeker said...
I don't feel that you really tried. i'm sure that if you really tried you could be an excilent writer someday but right now you need to get your mind in the right place.

daniellemriexo said...
eyy cr im from SI too lmoo i <3 youre poem!!!

JustMeBnI said...
Jan. 26, 2009 at 3:26 am:
its definetly different lol but isnt that what poetry is> trying to write emotions and feeling into words?

Em.Dog.95 said...
Jan. 25, 2009 at 2:41 am:
Wow. that's beautiful

irishpride. said...
Jan. 23, 2009 at 1:11 am:
Wow, this was a beautiful poem. I read it over a few times, it's very nice. :]

babygirl792 said...
I love this poem..its really nice..u r very talented

angelalynn said...
Jan. 21, 2009 at 1:10 am:
Wow! that was really great, your very talented