Matchmaker's Mansion

Author's note: Hope you enjoy! If you want to read the next chapter just post me a comment and I will. ^_^
Author's note: Hope you enjoy! If you want to read the next chapter just post me a comment and I will. ^_^  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... 31 Next »

Matchmaker's Mansion: Ch. 16

With her chin rested in the crevice between her folded knees, Asha watched as Chase very carefully painted her toenails a bright pink. He had randomly pulled the nail polish out of a drawer in the generous supply of closets around the room.

Ever rested sprawled out in his usual place- the sofa with his head propped up on the armrest. He slowly played a lullaby that sounded more like a harp than a guitar.

Trying to keep herself awake, Asha let her gaze flicker about the room.
And the mystery continues! I hope you liked it.
Her gaze stopped on the wall mirror, the one Ever had been staring into the day before. Since that moment he had become even more quiet, if silence could possibly become even quieter. Perhaps it was because he hadn’t smiled at all the entire day.

Sighing, Asha let her gaze slide to the dark chair in the corner of her eye. Sitting in it was an even darker object. Shay.

His hair fell over his grey eyes that looked as though they were closed, but were only focused downward on an ancient-looking book. He sat slightly leaned into the corner of the chair, one leg folded up so that his foot was actually on the chair. Pausing, she thought that he looked too content to bother, but decided to pester him anyway.

“What’re you reading, Shay?” Asha said, trying to sound completely interested. Honestly, she just wanted to hear him speak since he had been ignoring her all day. Chase stopped painting her left big toe, his blonde head turning to look at Shay, apparently waiting for the answer too.

He didn’t even pause to look up, and only said, “A book.”

Chase shook his head, his caramel highlights vanishing and appearing in between the strands of his light blonde hair. Squinting even though he sat right beneath her on the carpeted floor, she tried to see through the side sweep of hair that covered his eye. It bothered her at times that she wasn’t able see both of them.

Sighing, she thought, “What a frustrating day.” Glancing over at Shay, she decided to try again.

“What’s your favorite book?” she asked, already not expecting an answer. But surely a book-worm would want to talk of nothing but books.

Shay glanced over the top of the book he was reading, his grey eyes pinning her to her seat. Sighing, he laid his book carefully down on the wood stand next to him.

“Beauty and the Beast,” he said, his entire attention on her for the first time that day. He watched her carefully behind a lock of hair that fell over his eyes. “But it’s not the Disney version you’re thinking of.”

“Oh,” she nodded her head, pretending to understand. “Then what version is it?” she linked her arms around her knees, pulling them tighter to her chest only to get a gasp from Chase, who had gotten a bit of the nailpolish on her skin due to the unexpected movement.

“You’ve never heard of it, so I’ll just have to tell it to you.” She nodded once and he started, her eyes watching his pale lips. “Long ago there was a man, conceited and vain, who only desired materialistic things. One night he had a ball in honor of himself, inviting every woman and man for miles around. On the night of the ball he danced with every woman that had arrived…all except one. She was a miserable looking creature, almost witch-like in her being. He refused to dance with her, claiming that she was too ugly to dance with a beautiful man like himself. She laughed at his insolence and asked him to bring forward one person who truly loved him, then would she believe that he was beautiful. But when twilight arrived and the ball came to a close, he still had no one who professed to love him. And being the witch that she really was, she cursed his vanity and pride. Encasing a monster within the man, she pronounced the monster a “love demon” that could only be released once someone truly loved him for more than his appearance. And in a whirl of smoke she became a beautiful young woman, everyone’s mouths agape as she stalked out the door never to be seen again.”

He stopped and reached for his book.

“Wait!” His hand hovered above the book. “What happened…please…can you tell me what the ending is?” Asha yelped, as did Chase because she had kicked the bottle of nail polish over. Chase scrambled to pick it up and cap it as Asha held Shay’s gaze.

“He falls in love with a lady who also falls in love with him. Blah blah blah…demon released…blah blah blah…they live happily ever after.” He picked up his book and stuck it in front of his face so that she couldn’t see him.

“Oh,” was all she could say. She tucked her chin between her folded knees and rocked back and forth in the chair, not knowing what to feel.

“Miss Asha, I’m afraid your time is up for today,” Shaun’s voice met her ears. Unwillingly, she unfolded herself and left the room, glancing over her shoulder to see the boys once more before she left. The door shut with a sense of finality.

“Why did you leave out parts of the story?!” Chase yelled as soon as the door shut; now ignoring the puddle of pink on the floor to focus on Shay. “And don’t act like I don’t know what I’m talking about, because I read most of the story, just like you told me to.”

“I didn’t want to scare her,” Shay said, flipping a page.

“She still deserved to hear it…after all…she’s a part of the story,” Chase slowed to a whisper and he looked down at the spilled nail polish on the gold-embroidered carpet. “Wait…” his head snapped up, “why would it scare her?”

“I suggest you read the ending,” Shay said as he stood up, stretched, and left the room without his book.

This book has 310 comments. Post your own now!

FallenAngel1 said...
I think that so far its very good. When you finish the book and edit it, you should have it published. its interesting and very original. You should be pround of yourself, keep it up! :-) :-)

Hope_Princess replied...

Aww! Thank you SO much. I would give you a signed copy for free- LOL!

I wish I could say that my story is original, but as you read you'll find that haf of it is and half of it isn't. Hope I don't disappoint you. :-(

Thanks again! And guess what- I uploaded a lot of chapters!

FallenAngel1 replied...
Great, i can't wait to read the rest. I doubt that you'll disappoint. Keep on writing and i hope that you write more. :-) I wrote more too on the second one, Trapt.

thesoulwriter said...
Soo good. i was very impressed with the colorful language. i just wish i knew who was who :( so sad

Hope_Princess replied...

Thank you so much! And I'm so happy that I impressed you. It's rare that that happens. ^_^

Everything will be revealed in time...thanks for reading!

FallenAngel1 said...
This is really good, its very descriptive. No, i could not know which one it was because of the kiss but i think that the last one was the one that didn't want to talk to her when she first arrived at the mansion. This is very good, please keep it up.

Hope_Princess replied...

Thank you so much for the encouraging comment. ^_^

It's great to know you're enjoying it. I'll be sure to let you know when more is up.

FallenAngel1 said...
This is really good, it has a great hook. I mean a 17 year old girl goes to a matchmaker to find true love, that's a new one. It's very interesting so far. Could you read some of my work? You don't have to. It's mediocre or i think it is. But i would like another write to read it. But please keep it up, i am anxious to see what happens to Asha and who that third potential match is.   :-) :-) 

Hope_Princess replied...
Thanks so much! I'll be sure to post the next chapter soon...and I'll post a comment on one of your works too! I'm sure it's not mediocre. Everyone has a unique style that makes it their own. :-)

AnonymousOne said...
This is really good!!! the plot is really different, and the characters are really amusing. Keep it up! Read some of my stuff when it comes out?

Hope_Princess replied...

Thanks so much!

I really wanted to create a story that's never been heard of before. So I'm really happy it's different. :-D

Sure, I'll read your stuff. Be sure to remind me though. ^_^

Thanks again for reading!