Characters

Have you ever wondered why your perfect plans are shattered? Why a seemingly perfect romance ended? Why good luck strikes at strange times? Why life seems like a bunch of meaningless chaos?

There is a very simple answer to all of these questions. We were created by an ancient race of aliens and are nothing but characters in their stories, created to alleviate their boredom.

As soon as they are old enough to write, they are given a computer software program and a manual with only the most basic rules of their writing universe. In order to create a new character, they must collaborate with other aliens to make sure two human parents give birth to a child. This child will be under their control from the moment it is born until the moment it dies.

You are always subject to the whims of your creator. Everything you say, everything you do is controlled by them. Usually, the aliens have jotted down things they want to happen during your lifetime. But some aliens detest this and make random decisions as to where your life will go. This is where chaos comes from.

Our planet is relatively new, but the aliens have become bored with it. The best writers among them have declared that the Earth is a cliché, boring universe. They have decided they want to write in a new, more exciting world, so they have taken a special vote. It was this vote that decided how our world will end.

“Why don’t we let a black hole swallow their planet?”

“Nah, we’ve done that already.”

“What if the Earth spontaneously combusts?”

“That’s way too cliché!”

“Okay, why don’t we knock their planet out of orbit and send it crashing into the sun?”

“That’s a stupid idea.”

“Fine. How about we give all their world leaders bad cases of paranoia and see what happens?”

“Sure. Why not?”

And so, our world will not end with a bang, but with slow decay. Our increasingly paranoid world leaders will declare war on each other and humanity will slowly die out. But, since the aliens lost all interest in us, we have gained something we never had before: free will. It is now up to us to decide our fates—and the fate of our planet.

Izanami said...
Mar. 31, 2013 at 9:53 am
This wasa really good article. I liked how you formed this off of the concept that we don't have free will, only an illusion that becomes reality later on. But I felt that your dialogue was somewhat abrupt, but otherwise perfect. I liked how you made the aliens seem all the more human by making their dialogue seem like a normal conversation. And could you please read my article? It's my first ever on Teen Ink, and I'd like to have someone with more experience than me look over it.

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Apr. 2, 2013 at 3:02 am
Thank you for the thoughtful comment. :)  Unfortunately, I would like to decline reading your work as I am not active on Teen Ink.  I only respond to comments on my articles now that I have moved on to other things.

BlackbeltJamesThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
It is a good piece which is targetted to give the reader a lot to think about, which is good. However, at the beginning you are very upfront about the facts which makes you ask: who is the narrator? The narrator refers to the aliens as aliens so they cannot be the aliens themselves, and they cannot be human as otherwsie they would not have this knowledge. It is just a thought to maybe help improve your writing as the idea is brilliant, but at the beginning you appear to be spoon feeding the read... (more »)

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Thank you for your feedback James.  This article is meant to be a story read aloud like David Eagleman's Sum: Forty Tales from the Afterlives.  It's supposed to tell you what's going on.  As for your criticism about the alien dialogue, see my comment to Miniterror below.

Miniterror said...
It's a good piece; I like the rising up to fight back concept. Though, I think the alien dialect could be improved.

CarrieAnn13 replied...
How do you think the alien dialogue could be improved?  I meant for it to be casual and very human because they control humans.  Therefore humans speak like aliens and not the other way around. :)  Thanks for commenting!

Miniterror replied...
It's not very detailed. It's almost like their are only two or three of them discussing a very important topic. It needs a setting for them to be in that creates a more commanding feel. And they should be a bit more formal, it's not like all of them command a kid right?

Jaki913 said...
 this is the exact kind of thing i would like to say with my writing but have no idea how to say it... any advise?

CarrieAnn13 replied...
My advice?  Just develop your own style.  Write, write and write some more.  And don't force ideas; they'll come to you.

RachaelAnne101 said...
You could have more about the aliens, but I really loved it. :) Read my article!

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Thank you for your feedback, but I will not be reading your article.  I'm inactive on Teen Ink; I've moved on to better things.

Nathan D. said...
Amazing. How did you ever think of this?

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Thank you!  It just came to me one day at work.  I can't really explain it. :)

_Kristen_ said...
This is extreamly amazing.  I just discovered the t.v. show Doctor Who, which deals a lot with ailens, and now I have that deep parinoia that they would do something exactly like that. Probably will never happen, but that adds to the overall mystery of the piece.

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Well I'm sorry for making you paranoid, but I'm glad that my writing had such a profound effect!

Ufuoma said...
This is sheer brilliance intoxicated with innovation, and a hint of humourous truth.

CarrieAnn13 replied...
You're too kind.  Thanks so much for making my day! :)

transparantspirit434This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
That blew my mind. Nice concept!

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Dec. 23, 2012 at 3:10 am
Thanks! :)         

ImmortalMind said...
Oh you silly author, world leaders don't need aliens to give them paranoia ;) Cool concept!

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Nov. 24, 2012 at 10:41 am
You may be right!  Thanks for commenting! :)