Characters

Have you ever wondered why your perfect plans are shattered? Why a seemingly perfect romance ended? Why good luck strikes at strange times? Why life seems like a bunch of meaningless chaos?

There is a very simple answer to all of these questions. We were created by an ancient race of aliens and are nothing but characters in their stories, created to alleviate their boredom.

As soon as they are old enough to write, they are given a computer software program and a manual with only the most basic rules of their writing universe. In order to create a new character, they must collaborate with other aliens to make sure two human parents give birth to a child. This child will be under their control from the moment it is born until the moment it dies.

You are always subject to the whims of your creator. Everything you say, everything you do is controlled by them. Usually, the aliens have jotted down things they want to happen during your lifetime. But some aliens detest this and make random decisions as to where your life will go. This is where chaos comes from.

Our planet is relatively new, but the aliens have become bored with it. The best writers among them have declared that the Earth is a cliché, boring universe. They have decided they want to write in a new, more exciting world, so they have taken a special vote. It was this vote that decided how our world will end.

“Why don’t we let a black hole swallow their planet?”

“Nah, we’ve done that already.”

“What if the Earth spontaneously combusts?”

“That’s way too cliché!”

“Okay, why don’t we knock their planet out of orbit and send it crashing into the sun?”

“That’s a stupid idea.”

“Fine. How about we give all their world leaders bad cases of paranoia and see what happens?”

“Sure. Why not?”

And so, our world will not end with a bang, but with slow decay. Our increasingly paranoid world leaders will declare war on each other and humanity will slowly die out. But, since the aliens lost all interest in us, we have gained something we never had before: free will. It is now up to us to decide our fates—and the fate of our planet.

Jaki913 said...
Feb. 13, 2013 at 6:27 pm:
 this is the exact kind of thing i would like to say with my writing but have no idea how to say it... any advise?

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Mar. 10, 2013 at 7:43 pm :
My advice?  Just develop your own style.  Write, write and write some more.  And don't force ideas; they'll come to you.

RachaelAnne101 said...
Feb. 6, 2013 at 7:07 pm:
You could have more about the aliens, but I really loved it. :) Read my article!

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Mar. 10, 2013 at 7:42 pm :
Thank you for your feedback, but I will not be reading your article.  I'm inactive on Teen Ink; I've moved on to better things.

Nathan D. said...
Feb. 4, 2013 at 9:27 pm:
Amazing. How did you ever think of this?

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Mar. 10, 2013 at 7:41 pm :
Thank you!  It just came to me one day at work.  I can't really explain it. :)

_Kristen_ said...
This is extreamly amazing.  I just discovered the t.v. show Doctor Who, which deals a lot with ailens, and now I have that deep parinoia that they would do something exactly like that. Probably will never happen, but that adds to the overall mystery of the piece.

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Jan. 14, 2013 at 11:33 pm :
Well I'm sorry for making you paranoid, but I'm glad that my writing had such a profound effect!

UfuomaThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
This is sheer brilliance intoxicated with innovation, and a hint of humourous truth.

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Jan. 4, 2013 at 8:35 pm :
You're too kind.  Thanks so much for making my day! :)

transparantspirit434This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
That blew my mind. Nice concept!

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Dec. 23, 2012 at 3:10 am :
Thanks! :)         

ImmortalMind said...
Oh you silly author, world leaders don't need aliens to give them paranoia ;) Cool concept!

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Nov. 24, 2012 at 10:41 am :
You may be right!  Thanks for commenting! :)

Pegasisus said...
Omigod, is it weird that I think this exact same thing every day??  Really great story, by the way. :3

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Nov. 12, 2012 at 11:55 pm :
It sounds like everyone secretly suspects this.  It's not just you!  Thanks for commenting. :)

xBaByGiRrL22xThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Oct. 29, 2012 at 11:30 am:
This is an awesome idea. I love how everythings flows and fits. You're a very good writer and this even had me thinking. I loved the "Let's give the world leaders bad cases of paranoia". ;) great job!

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Oct. 30, 2012 at 11:37 pm :
Somehow I don't think world leaders need aliens to give them paranoia.  Anyway, thanks for commenting!

LinkinPark12 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Aha! This wouldn't surprise me if this was happening already!  This probably happened during WW1.. 

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Oct. 16, 2012 at 9:16 pm :
Of course it's not happening now.  And of course aliens aren't making me write that... ;)  Thanks for the comment!