New Year, Same Riverdale | Teen Ink

New Year, Same Riverdale

By sophiamccauley BRONZE, Wyckoff, New Jersey
sophiamccauley BRONZE, Wyckoff, New Jersey

The intense new show Riverdale has stolen the minds and hearts of many teens and adults around the country. The show has been out for almost a year, and it still has rave reviews for its first season. Based off the famous Archie Comics, the show includes many details from the original print such as the crown, and the mysterious murders within the town. It begins with friends, Archie Andrews, Betty Cooper, Veronica Lodge, and Jughead Jones along with Cheryl Blossom who together try to navigate their way through the mysterious town of Riverdale, all while trying not to break relationships.

Archie is the typical high school varsity football player. He holds many secrets, including his love for music, and the fact that he is having an affair with a teacher. Betty, Archie’s best friend, is known as the “shy girl next door”. Despite her first appearance, she has an extremely dark and scary side that comes out when someone attacks her or her family. Veronica just moved to Riverdale from New York. She comes from a wealthy family, and her father is known for having an extremely dangerous reputation. Jughead is the quiet wallflower who observes everyone and writes it all down into his short story. His father is part of a gang on the South Side of town, which gives them the reputation of being dangerous as well. Cheryl Blossom is from a broken family as her twin brother was murdered. She struggles to cope with this loss and tries to put the pieces of her family back together.

A teen drama TV show is never complete without relationships. Within the first couple of episodes, Betty reveals that she likes Archie, but is afraid to tell him because she does not want to ruin their friendship. Little does Betty know, Archie is pursuing a secret relationship with the high school music teacher, Ms. Grundy. After this relationship comes to a quick close, Archie begins dating singer Valerie Brown, who is in the band Josie and the Pussycats. He then goes onto almost having a relationship with Cheryl Blossom, but never does. Though the two never date, it is clear that Cheryl definitely had feelings for him. There are two main relationships that the viewers adore the most, one being Archie and Veronica. The two have always had chemistry since they met, but Archie was always off with other girls. Their affection for one another was undeniable, and the viewers cannot get enough of them. The other is Betty and Jughead. According to Elite Daily, the most loved relationship of the show was also the most surprising. Because Betty revealed she liked Archie, viewers were not expecting these two to pair up. Nonetheless, the two make for an amazing duo in solving problems, and for a relationship.

Season one of this intense show took the viewers on a rollercoaster ride of mystery. With many cliffhangers at the end of all the episodes, the audience wanted their questions answered. The shocking finale at the end had everyone buzzing for days. Season two has begun, and the audience cannot wait to see what is in store for the characters and the town of Riverdale.