Rick and Morty | Teen Ink

Rick and Morty

By chackettoni BRONZE, Monticello, Illinois
chackettoni BRONZE, Monticello, Illinois

"Quote, what's a quote?"-Trevor Fox

Rick and Morty, an animated T.V. series on Adult Swim about Morty Smith, a 14 year old boy, and his grandpa who is a (some would say mad) scientist Rick Sanchez, explores the philosophical side of life while at the same time making you pee your pants in laughter. The odd mixture of these two themes, the characters own day to day problems, and a little bit of dark humor, makes for an amazing show that you won't want to stop watching.
Rick Sanchez is a self proclaimed genius, a diehard atheist, an alcoholic, pretends to not care about anything or anyone but himself, which we see proven wrong at least half a dozen times during the series, and is known by the rest of the multiverse (the infinite versions of our one universe) as the smartest mammal in the multiverse.
His portal gun (that he built in his garage) allows him to travel to different dimensions whenever he wants, making for some interesting episodes. His past ties in with the present fairly often in the show, and gives us a bit of context to what his story really is.

His grandson, Morty Smith, is trying to have a “normal” high school experience, but Rick is preventing any of that from happening by constantly dragging him on adventures through the multiverse, flirting with death every time.
While some people criticize the show’s dark themes and pessimistic outview of the world, many people also enjoy the show for the same reasons. The show can make something terrible look like a huge joke in the scale of the entire existence of the multiverse, and constantly reminds us how insignificant our lives really are.

This show may not be for all people, but it’s themes are sometimes interrupted by moments of compassion and humanity that you wouldn’t expect from the characters, humanizing us, the show, and the world altogether.