Holiday Festival: A Day to Remember | Teen Ink

Holiday Festival: A Day to Remember

January 20, 2017
By Anonymous

If one were to look around my school on December 2nd, he or she would notice the smiling faces of over three hundred fifty elementary school students. The enormity of happiness of both the students and faculty is due to the yearly event of holiday festivities. More specifically, Holiday Festival is a charitable event that is annually held in my school district. This occasion is planned at the two high schools in conjunction with the younger students of a local elementary school. Holiday Festival has been celebrated at the two high schools for the past forty years, making it one of the most commemorated occasions within the district. Held in early December, younger kids from the elementary school, typically between the ages of six and ten, visit the two schools to celebrate the upcoming holidays. The Holiday Festival Event is coordinated by the high school faculty and students and heavily depends on arrangement and management. Though it requires many months of preparation, the Holiday Festival event is a selfless cause by the students and faculty that helps under privileged students enjoy the holidays.


For instance, there are numerous aspects of Holiday Festival that are completed by the high school in preparation for the event. Senora Rodriguez, director of the Holiday Festival, organizes the multiple groups that are involved in arranging the event. For starters, students from all age levels become involved in the months before by signing up to be an escort. Particularly, those who act as escorts for the event are assigned to an elementary school student and spend the entire event taking them to the allotted festivities. Information packets regarding the child’s presents and room number are given out weeks before, making this a crucial position.  Additionally, students also participate by creating decorations that are displayed throughout the school. These pieces of art, typically Christmas-themed, help the students gain of vibrant sense of joy for holidays. As early as September, students meet in classrooms before and after school to create these wonderful pieces of art. Furthermore, other students choose to take part in the event by directing games and activities. Booths and games are organized weeks in advance in order to make the festivities enjoyable and entertaining. In addition, some of the older students typically dress up as holiday figures for the enjoyment of the children. Costumes, such as Santa Claus and Frosty the Snowman, are ordered or designed weeks in advance so volunteers can takes pictures with younger students and encourage them to participate in the activities. Clearly, students at the high schools play a huge role in making Holiday Festival a day to remember for the underprivileged students. Each year, over six hundred students at the high school become involved for the enjoyment of the children.


Further, there are numerous activities that take place throughout the school on the day of the event. More specifically, the younger students arrive at the high school early in the morning, along with their teachers and gift bags. They participate in a number of activities and games and even view a holiday-themed play performed by the high school students. Later on, classrooms are reserved for younger students to eat their lunches and meet with their assigned escort. After, the students and the escorts travel to their assigned room to open the presents purchased by the escorts. Places such as the library and auditorium are reserved for the children to open their presents and spend time with their escorts. Additionally, the lunchroom is used for eating snacks and enjoying a variety of games and activities. An infectious sense of joy is present in the lunchroom as the younger students receive face paintings and play soccer with their classmates. As part of the events, students and their escorts walk to certain points in the school to pick up books, stuffed animals, and clothing for the holidays. Courteous donations by families and local businesses allow the underprivileged kids to receive proper clothing and gifts for the holiday season. Lastly, the gymnasium is the most densely packed area of this entire event. Students are free to dance, play in the provided bouncy houses, or even play with their new gifts. While music plays in the background, escorts watch as their children truly enjoy the festivities that have been provided. Thomas Testa, an escort at the Holiday Festival, said, “It was amazing to watch my kid play the games and open his presents. I had a great time playing the games in the gym with him.” Clearly then, there are numerous activities that place in Holiday Festival that help the under privileged children enjoy their stay at the high school.


The Holiday Festival Event is a sincere, heartfelt occasion at the high school district that helps underprivileged kids enjoy the holiday. The thorough months of planning and preparation, organized by Senora Rodriguez, lead up to an enjoyable day for both the volunteers and kids. Not only are high students entertaining the younger children, but they are also setting a proper example for them. The entertaining festivities, gracious donations, and beautiful decorations all make the event memorable for the both volunteers and children.


The author's comments:

I was inspired by the Holiday Festival event to write this piece