Merlin | Teen Ink

Merlin

By A.Marcus DIAMOND, Landing, New Jersey
A.Marcus DIAMOND, Landing, New Jersey

"Whatever our souls are made of, his and mine are the same."
-Emily Bronte

"A shadow is the most loyal friend."
-Amanda Marcus

Magic is a wonderful thing unless you are in Camelot.

The original British TV show “Merlin” follows the characters of Arthurian legend in a new and interesting way.  Originally started in 2008 and ending in 2012, the series follows the story of Merlin, the greatest warlock to ever live, as he plays servant boy to the big-headed but oddly selfless Prince Arthur, the once and future king, who also just happens to be his “destiny”. 

One of the most notable things of the series is the emphasis on one of the often overlooked details of the legend:  King Arthur’s father, Uther (the original king), and his ban on and hatred of magic.  As Merlin, a boy who is awkward and magically inclined, tries to hide his magic while having to repeatedly aid Arthur with it as he often rushes into things without thinking.

When magic gets out of hand, Merlin is always there to help.  With magical villains and creatures around every turn, and scandalous relationships and internal turmoil, the show keeps you on your toes and keeps you guessing.  Following Merlin as he discovers why he and Arthur are considered different sides of the same coin is amazing and the graphics that are used are commendable (keep in mind that over the past few years graphics have gotten better and that this is an older show).

I highly recommend this series to anyone of any age and especially to those who are either into Arthurian legend (like I am) or enjoy magic and scandel.  The easiest way to access all 5 seasons (56 episodes, 43 minutes a piece) is through Netflix or, if you are looking to buy it, Amazon carries it (but it can be a bit pricey depending on which version and format you buy it in).  I thought it was a great show with likeable characters, comedic, and has a great story line.