Dying To Be Thin | Teen Ink

Dying To Be Thin MAG

By Anonymous

   She was so terribly skinny. I couldn't believe that anyone could be that deathlythin, and still be alive. I was watching a TV movie, For the Love of Nancy. Itportrays an anorexic girl and her battle to get well again. Tracey Gold, whoplayed Nancy, did an exceptionally good job. She is a recovering anorexicherself, so this gave her an advantage to this particular role.

This showgave me mixed emotions. It brought tears to my eyes, but also made me angry tothink that this girl was deliberately trying to hurt herself. Although I can'trelate to this illness, I understand its seriousness. It was a very importantshow for all types of people, especially girls. In a society where "average"girls are assumed to have the body of a Barbie Doll, many teens become anorexiaas a way to be like that. It is also a disease that has to do with control. Whenpeoples' lives are not going well, and there are problems, teens often becomeanorexic, thinking that the food they eat is one thing they can control.

I've known anorexics in the past, and now I can sympathize with them alittle better, knowing the facts about this critical problem.

Overall, Ithink that this TV movie was exceptionally good. Tracey Gold did an amazing jobin the role, and it taught me so much about a very complex disease that seems sosimple, but can make you stop and think about how naive many people are aboutAnorexia Nervosa, including me.