Vacation - Seaway | Teen Ink

Vacation - Seaway MAG

By leo-s64 GOLD, Seattle, Washington
leo-s64 GOLD, Seattle, Washington

You take your car to work, I'll take my board. And when you're out of fuel, I'm still afloat - Rivers Cuomo

Pop-punk is my favorite style of music. The power chords, the melodies, and the guitar riffs can feel fun or melancholic, depending on how the artist utilizes them. Pop-punk had its heyday in the early to mid-2000’s, with bands like Blink-182, Bowling for Soup, and Green Day, and classic songs like “All The Small Things,” “Stacy’s Mom,” and “The Middle.” Recently though, pop-punk has begun to have something of a resurgence. Bands like Neck Deep, State Champs, and The Wonder Years, may not be very well known in the mainstream, they maintain a solid, dedicated fanbase and consistently put out great pop-punk music year after year. The latest release from one of these bands, Seaway, is titled Vacation and is one of the best pop-punk albums that I have ever had the pleasure of listening to.

From the album opener, titled “Apartment,” Seaway is showing off their musical talent. The guitar riff by lead guitarist Patrick Eichinger fits the song expertly and is uniquely memorable. The standout aspect of the album and Seaway in general, for me, is lead vocalist Ryan Locke’s unique, gravelly tone of voice. It gives the songs a certain angst and ups the energy tenfold.

Another standout song is the third track, “London.” Something about the song just captivates me and gets stuck in my head. It may be the punchy chorus or the story it tells. Whatever the reason, every time that I listen to the song, I want to start it over and listen to it all over again.

One of the last songs on the record, “40 Over,” shows Seaway using a slower tempo and more emotional lyrics. This juxtaposition offers a nice reprieve from the high energy found in most of the other songs. The passion in the voices of both lead singers, Ryan Locke and Patrick Carleton, is very clear and moving. The haunting yet beautiful guitar riff that opens the track is a perfect indication of what is to come.

Vacation is a glorious 38 minutes from start to finish. Whether it be the exuberant chorus of “Car Seat Magazine,” or the summertime vibes of “Lula on the Beach,” each song on the record is sure to delight.  Seaway’s instrumentation and powerful vocals are shown off in full force in one of the best pop-punk albums of all time. Vacation is a must listen for pop-punk fanatics and newcomers alike.

This is my first article. I hope you enjoy!