In ‘The Long Run,’ The Eagles Rock | Teen Ink

In ‘The Long Run,’ The Eagles Rock

By JasonS BRONZE, Miami Beach, Florida
JasonS BRONZE, Miami Beach, Florida
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

The Eagles are old-time American rock legends, first together in 1971. However, based on January’s sold-out three-hour long performance at the Bank Atlantic Center, (Fort Lauderdale, Florida) they look like they haven’t lost a step. The classic rock group unveiled some of their new tracks from their highly anticipated album, "Long Road out of Eden" (2007), which is the band’s first studio album since 1979. Legendary writers Don Henley, and Glenn Frey, along with bass player, Timothy B. Schmidt helped create the incredible ten-minute cover song for the new album. Leave the rest to legendary rocker and fan favorite, Joe Walsh. And as it turns out, old time rockers still have a great sense of humor. In introducing the legendary Walsh, this is what Glenn Frey had to say: “last, but not LOST – A legend in his OWN mind, Joe Walsh!”

Joe responded as any other rocker would do, tantalizing the audience with a five-minute solo and a classic performance of his solo hit, 'Life's Been Good To Me So Far.' The audience was than memorized during the song 'Dirty Laundry,' in which a video projector allowed for several images including a mocking of the Hollywood gossip and so called deceiving media giants including, TMZ, Bill O’ Reilly, Dr. Phil, and ‘The View,’ amongst others featured in the video. Only four songs into the show, Billy Armstrong, “the only guy who can hold a note, the longest, without having his head burst off,” according to Henley, began to belt out an incredible trumpet solo. What followed was the familiar repetitive strum of a Joe Walsh guitar. The all-time classic and personal favorite of mine, ‘Hotel California,’ had begun to shatter the speakers. After a long grand ovation, and some more classic hits, including: ‘One Of These Nights,’ ‘Lying eyes,’ ‘Peaceful Easy Feeling’ and ‘No More Cloudy Days,’ came some new material. The new songs included country rhythms like ‘Waiting in the Weeds,’ and ‘Guilty of the Crime.’ The Eagles, again, had no problem drawing up laughs. It was now Glenn Frey’s turn to talk to the crowd: “Hey, I just wanted to take a moment and make sure everybody had the right tickets – This is the Eagles: Assisted Living Tour.” Despite the retirement jokes, several in the audience claimed that The Eagles sounded better, perhaps much better than they did thirty years ago.

Glenn Frey added that the band had “fond memories of time spent in South Florida, especially in the late ‘70s [Hotel California came out in 1976].” After a sought encore, the band offered more memories as ‘Life in the Fast Lane,’ ‘Take it Easy,’ and the incredible piano solo of ‘Desperado’ closed the curtains.

I am a senior at Miami Country Day School who is sincerely grateful to Mrs. Gallup and the entire 'Spartacus' staff. Class of 2009!

JasonS BRONZE said...
on Mar. 2 2009 at 8:42 pm
JasonS BRONZE, Miami Beach, Florida
1 article 0 photos 1 comment
awesome cover song ('Long Road Out of Eden') for the new album.... Album is a must.