Wish You Were Here by Pink Floyd | Teen Ink

Wish You Were Here by Pink Floyd

May 27, 2015
By theheavymetalist ELITE, Winter Haven, Florida
theheavymetalist ELITE, Winter Haven, Florida
247 articles 0 photos 57 comments

Favorite Quote:
Take me As I Am - James Labrie of Dream Theater


I wonder if this is where Dream Theater got the inspiration for the setup of Systematic Chaos. Just a little thought I had. By now, you all should know how much I love Pink Floyd. I don't think I need to express it much more to be perfectly honest. These guys are among the most legendary and innovative progressive rock bands of all time with influences as far as the eye can see.
Wish You Were Here was released in 1975 and has a very big omage to former member Sid Barrett. However, the band, mostly Waters, also touches upon the subject of business and especially the music business. This album, much like the next one Animals, includes a total of five tracks. Those five tracks are Shine On You Crazy Diamond Pt. 1, Welcome To the Machine, Have a Cigar, Wish You Were Here and Shine On... Pt. 2. With the second and third tracks, Welcome To the Machine and Have a Cigar, they talk about and occasionally bash the music business with the former being more serious and the latter making quirks that can soften the blow. The title track and Shine On Crazy Diamond are more or less the ones focused on Barrett. Wish You Were Here shows how much they want him to come back and continue playing music with them and Shine On You Crazy Diamond is the epic of the album spanning around 25 minutes. This song takes up the cover ends of the album and try to replicate Barrett`s true greatness when he was with them. This is where everyone is more involved in songwriting and includes mine separate parts. Each part gives a shining moment to each member. The words Waters speaks are memorable and powerful and will last for an indefinite future. As I end this review I must say, Shine On You Crazy Diamond. Thanks for reading.
I give this a 9.5/10. I am the Grim Reaper, signing off.


The author's comments:

I thank everyone that suggested I do this. I might have taken a while but I've finally done it. I would have to say you're welcome.