Night Visions by Imagine Dragons | Teen Ink

Night Visions by Imagine Dragons MAG

December 13, 2014
By ScreenName098 GOLD, New York City, New York
ScreenName098 GOLD, New York City, New York
10 articles 0 photos 17 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened." -Dr. Seuss


Beware the lulling melodies in Imagine Dragons’ “Night Visions.” The album, released a few years ago, wields mystical powers that will lure you into an everlasting passion for the band. The songs showcase a unique style accompanied by catchy beats. The result is a refined, intriguing rock album with heartfelt lyrics and unforgettable melodies.


Imagine Dragons was formed back in 2008 in Las Vegas, Nevada. Their lyrics share personal stories about braving countless obstacles and overcoming lasting scars. They hoped to reach the hearts of an attentive audience – perhaps a group of broken people who have also endured pain – but at that time, they thought it unimaginable that they’d obtain widespread popularity. However, over the years, Imagine Dragons steadily gained popularity and earned spots on numerous music charts worldwide.


Since the release of the hit single “It’s Time,” the band has launched into stardom. The song’s upbeat story revolves around lead singer Dan Reynolds’ realization of his true self. It holds a powerful message that connects with listeners, and the rhythmic clapping that stands out from the soulful melody further enhances its meaning.


The success of “It’s Time” drove the band to work tirelessly on their first album. In an interview by SoundSpike, Reynolds said, “I think that from start to finish, our album has a theme to it, just running the gamut of human emotion. There are some songs that are a little darker and some that are a little happier.” The band was passionate about portraying an in-depth representation of life, and they were determined to make their first album successful.


“Night Visions” set the band off to a great start. The album reached its peak as number two on the Billboard 200, and a few singles reached prominence as well. “Radioactive” is a riveting piece that depicts Reynolds’ awakening from his normal routine. Its positivity empowers listeners, with his deep, clear voice shining through the background of heavy drums. Another popular song, “Demons,” offers a close understanding of humans’ tendency to act wrongly, using the metaphor of “demons” that hide beneath our skins to portray everyone’s selfish needs.


If listeners venture further into the album, they will find many songs worthy of attention. One of my favorites is “Bleeding Out.” Its whistling chimes create a captivating atmosphere from the start. Then the song suddenly speeds into the chorus as Reynolds belts out eloquent lyrics displaying his willing sacrifice for a loved one. “Tiptoe” follows a similar idea. It begins with a mysterious mood and gradually increases in intensity, while maintaining a steady beat. “Underdog” also incorporates a stable rhythm as voices harmonize in a mesmerizing tune, displaying the band’s outstanding talent for mixing melodies with earnest lyrics.


Imagine Dragons has experienced a whirlwind in the music industry, and their adventure continues. Their monumental efforts have finally paid off with the success of “Night Visions.” It is a phenomenal collection that will stick with you.