Lilith Fair | Teen Ink

Lilith Fair MAG

Recently a friend and I attended the Lilith Fair. It took place at an amphitheater, located on the outskirts of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. The Fair toured all summer hitting many major cities across the United States.

Sarah McLachlan is the founder. She wanted to start a festival to celebrate the accomplishments of women in music. She named it Lilith in honor of the ancient mythic figure.

Joining Sarah on stage were Fiona Apple, Tracy Bonham, Meredith Brooks, The Cardigans, Paula Cole, Shawn Colvin, Sheryl Crow, Indigo Girls, Jewel, Lisa Loeb, Joan Osborne and many more women who performed on side stages.

The show I saw had Lisa Loeb, Shawn Colvin, Jewel, Sheryl Crow, Indigo Girls, and Sarah McLachlan.

The scene at the Lilith Fair was very mellow. Everyone sat back, relaxed, and enjoyed the music. At my show it rained, but that only added to the atmosphere.

Everyone I saw seemed to be having a good time and I did too. The only problem was that the Fair seemed overrated and commercialized. Even though most performers had respect for the audience, others did not. For example, Jewel did not finish her set when it started raining. Even though she was under a roof, she threw a fit.

In all, the idea of celebrating women in music is wonderful and Sarah McLachlan had the right idea. I hope if The Lilith Fair decides to tour next summer, they get their act together a little more. Even though The Lilith Fair was not the best concert I have been to, I would recommend going just for the experience