Amaryllis by Shinedown | Teen Ink

Amaryllis by Shinedown

November 30, 2013
By johnny means BRONZE, Wilmingtom, Delaware
johnny means BRONZE, Wilmingtom, Delaware
2 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Amaryllis
Shinedown

Shinedown is an amazing band. Unlike the "music" that many teens listen to today, all of Shinedown's songs have an actual meaning (drugs/sex and money/fame don't count as meanings). But, Amaryllis is no ordinary Shinedown song: it's a story. I know that might sound weird, but, if you listen to REAL music, you know that song that just speaks to you in a way that makes you want to put it on permanent repeat, just like a good story. Not only is it a well-written song with all the elements of an amazing song, but it also has a meaning that can apply to 100% of all of humanity: be yourself. For those of you that don't know what an Amaryllis is, i'll tell you: it's an African flower that only blooms in March,April, and/or May. The flower represents the narrator/singer: he's trying to get himself to be himself 100% of the time, instead of just when he's comfortable. Even though the song doesn't specifically tell us, we can all assume that he didn't "bloom"; he probably just quit and decided to conform to what society wanted him to be. So, the next time you're afraid to do something that you know you want to do, remember: you're an Amaryllis, and only YOU can make yourself bloom!