The Pretty Reckless EP by The Pretty Reckless | Teen Ink

The Pretty Reckless EP by The Pretty Reckless

By createakristen SILVER, Corpus Christi, Texas
createakristen SILVER, Corpus Christi, Texas

"There isn't a person on this planet who should let a past nightmare dictate or cloud their future dreams." -CM Punk

When you think of Gossip Girl's Taylor Momsen and music, do you think bubblegum pop, or do you think of the genious rock involving her band, The Pretty Reckless? I hope you thought the second option. Taylor Momsen had grown up on Oasis, Nirvana, and The White Stripes, so it's no surprise that her alto voice created three not-so-heavy rock songs, perfect for the indie kid, or the rock-loving adult.

The first song, "Make Me Wanna Die", involves great guitar riffs, innocent strings, and powerhouse vocals that used the song on the "Kick-A**" movie soundtrack. The song uses the theme of romantic insecurities in their lyrics. "I'll never be good enough, and everything you love will burn up in the light. And everytime I look inside your eyes, you make me wanna die." This relates to the infatuated teenage girl in so many ways that it's not cliche`, but pure honesty.

The second song, "My Medicine" has an old blues-rock sound that a mother of three in her forties could love easily. The way the lyrics play around Momsen's voice work perfectly to display an innocent girl paired with new words that have been used repetitively to describe not feeling like yourself. If you're a fan of Janis Joplin, this is a good song for you.

"Goin'Down" is a good song for the jump-around-and-break-something personality in you. "What I need is someone to same me 'cause I am goin' down." is what Momsen proclaims with perfect control and volume, paired with blasting drums and a classic electric guitar.

Overall, The Pretty Reckless is one of my favorite bands because from the modern rock to the old influences, this band delivers in what has to be one of the best, if not the best, EPs I've ever heard.

SarahWaters SILVER, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
I love the pretty reckless, and this is a good description of their music, but I wished you would have discussed their album as a whole in addition to the three songs you chose.

KeyofG BRONZE said...
KeyofG BRONZE, Duvall, Washington

well, I want to put my favorite quote here but its too long so I can't type it on this freaking thing

The Pretty Reckless is great!....But Taylor Momsen isn't so great. I've watched pretty much every interview of Taylor, and in my opinion she is just someone who is overly-obsessed   with the way she looks, which is drowning out her personality. It seems to me that she's trying too hard to try to LOOK like a "rocker chick". Yes, she's totally got the voice to be that hardcore rock star, but I mean look at Kurt Cobain, for instance: he didn't need to wear certain clothes and certain shoes and have a cetain haircut to be a rock star. He went out there in his freaking converses, sweat shirt, and every-day jeans the majority of the time. I think Taylor just needs to stop looking in the mirror and putting on so much makeup, and focus more on her awesome music and her awesome band.