Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band by The Beatles | Teen Ink

Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band by The Beatles

February 10, 2010
By -Cole- BRONZE, Sewickley, Pennsylvania
-Cole- BRONZE, Sewickley, Pennsylvania
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Unsatisfied with an already mythic stance in music, the Beatles sought to create an album that became unabashedly, unashamedly, musical. Seeking more sophisticated artistic ground, the Beatles banished all preconceived boundaries for "Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band"; they would bring an album-oriented format into focus, while flirting with many unique studio-based arrangements that pervade amongst modern musicians today.
Whether it tethers to the carnival romp of “Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite,” or the vaudevillian trot of “When I’m Sixty Four,” this becomes an all-out embrace of music’s many niches. “With a Little Help from My Friends” becomes a pleasantly rollicking pop song as soaring harmonies fade into the background; Ringo sings the lead vocals, a rarity in the Beatles discography. Even as the psychedelic smog of “Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds” enters the mix, it feels welcome; the invaluable facet of this album lies in its ability to effectively create radical musical transitions, just as the loud, ringing guitars of “Getting Better” delightfully descend into the sweeping harpsichord of “Fixing a Hole”. Serving to end the album and serving as a testament to the cooperation of McCartney and Lennon, “A Day in the Life” displays their talents. It’s epic in its design, regal in its stance, stratospheric in its height, and satisfying in its resolution. It all represents a band striding forward, in sound and in scope. After several decades, "Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band" remains as one of the most musically significant albums of the Beatles' catalog.
Naturally, the impact of the album makes sense. Bands could venture into new territory without fear, without guidelines to follow. The album’s innovations became employed in modern music; the album’s impact still lingers in modern music. Despite this sentiment, the sonic kaleidoscope of "Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band" remains distinctive in music, and that quality alone aids the legacy of this ever-transcendent album.


The author's comments:
Even as this album ages, its impact seems to flourish. Hopefully, readers will enjoy the review and the album itself.