Billie Eilish Review: How Music Can Heal | Teen Ink

Billie Eilish Review: How Music Can Heal

By _jazm1n7 BRONZE, North Hollywood, California
_jazm1n7 BRONZE, North Hollywood, California

Billie Eilish is a stunning singer and songwriter from the alt, teen, and indie pop genres. Since Billie's first album “WHEN WE ALL FALL ASLEEP, WHERE DO WE GO?” It peaked at number one in 25 countries at just 17 years old! Fans went wild when she came out with that banger. But, more recently, Billie released “TV” along with "The 30th.” Which is an extended plays album named “Guitar Songs.” She had performed “TV” at her “Happier Than Ever” tour- before the release date as a tease. It became loved by many, just like myself.``TV” is a song that talks about how there is neglect in relationships by how individuals get so wrapped up in their personal escapism and societal distractions, they unintentionally isolate themselves even in a toxic enviroment-wondering if they're the problem. ¨ TV¨ was ranked on the US Billboard 100 at the top 50 and number 7 on US Hot Rock & Alternative Songs(Billboard). This shows that Billie's impact on people is so great that just one of her songs made her in the top 50.``Now all of my friends are missing again- ‘Cause that’s what happens when you fall in love.” This lyric highlights the central theme, when we fall in love, we tend to isolate ourselves and only focus on the relationship, leaving our friends behind; Leading to a sense of loneliness. As for myself, during a heartbreak, this song replayed every day non-stop. It made me relate to a sense of loneliness because the only person I had at the time was my boyfriend who I had lost while losing myself in the relationship. “I’ll try not to starve myself- just because you’re mad at me.”  This is another lyric I could relate to, yet “TV” helped me overcome my heartache. “And the song’s lyrics talk about Billie’s desire to escape her feelings and heartbreak over an ended relationship.” This is a quote from the article Plugged In by Marasella Evans. It shows why this song can help a broken heart. That is overall Eilish’s main point. This song can give someone time to reflect on themselves and why the relationship ended in the first place. “The main reason why Billie Eilish's songs sound depressing is that she has gone through depression and anxiety in her childhood and early teens”(Quote from Ambient Mixer). So Billie is someone who can relate to these issues and struggles and why her music seems so ‘sad’ as if Billie wants to give out music to help people going through depression, anxiety, or heartache. In an interview, Billie said ¨When older people say, What do you know about things like love?”, I know more about it than you do because I’m feeling it for the first time right now, whereas you haven't felt that for a long time.¨ Which was in an article named ‘The List.’ So, as well as Billie´s depression or hardships, she also understands how cruel a broken heart feels. She gives her fans music to relate to, connect, and hopefully cope with. Billie is an amazing lyric writer and singer. Touching people with her music and vulnerability like she did with “TV” for all the heartaches out there.

This piece was very personal to me because it made me go back into a time and place where I almost lost my battle with mental health. Which is why I feel like TV or Billie in general is very inspirational and can touch people just with her music. This song, the lyrics, it made me realize how worthy I am of myself because if I'm able to relate to those lyrics; was the relationship worth to cry over? Soon enough I realized it wasn't. TV is an experience I genuinely believe every person should experience.