The Hamilton Mixtape | Teen Ink

The Hamilton Mixtape

By WriterNicoleGrey BRONZE, Panther Valley, New Jersey
WriterNicoleGrey BRONZE, Panther Valley, New Jersey

"A billion light years away, someone's thinkin' the same thing, but he's already turned to dust. . . "
~Ghost Quartet by Dave Malloy

Hamilton, the mega-musical that took the world by storm, or maybe I should say “Hurricane,” is back with a new album that will keep fans singing about the man on the ten dollar bill.  The musical quickly gained popularity after opening on Broadway in 2015 and swept the 2016 Tonys, taking eleven awards, including Best Musical, back to the Richard Rodgers Theater, where it is still playing eight shows per week to sold-out audiences. Although the musical rapidly became popular with theater-goers, would it be able to make the cross into another genre, something very few musicals accomplish?

With the Hamilton Mixtape, Lin Manuel-Miranda and the Tony-winning creators of Hamilton successfully expanded their audience by introducing new renditions of songs from their musical, all of which sung by pop, rap, and R&B singers, as well as an appearance from Tonight Show host, Jimmy Fallon. This tracklist also includes renditions of some songs that were cut from the musical, which gives theater fans a further glimpse of the creative process and evolving of the show from it’s run at The Public to its Broadway run.

Some of the songs from the musical that continue to play at the Richard Rodgers were revamped and added into the collaborative mixtape. Tracks, including “My Shot,” “ Wait For It,”  “Satisfied,” “Helpless,” “Dear Theodosia,” “That Would Be Enough,” “You’ll Be Back,” “Take A Break,” “Stay Alive,” “Washingtons By Your Side,” “History Has Its Eyes On You,” and “Who Tells Your Story,” are songs that are either taken directly from the musical and sung by a different artist or are songs that have the same title and ideas of the song from the show. Although similar in title and idea, “Take A Break” from the show became a short, instrumental, hip-hop interlude on the mixtape. Some songs on the mixtape differ greatly than their original versions on the Original Broadway Cast Recording, but these changes emphasize the true purpose of the album: to help bridge the gap between theater fans and pop listeners and to give fans another version of the songs they know and love.

Among the songs that aren’t currently featured in the show are “No John Trumbull,” “Wrote My Way Out,” “An Open Letter,” “Valley Forge,” “Immigrants (We Get The Job Done),” “Congratulations,” and “Cabinet Battle 3.” Some of these songs that have been cut from the show, for example, “Congratulations,” have their main interludes and lyrics placed into other moments in the show. Some lyrics from “Congratulations” can be found in “The Reynolds Pamphlet.” The lyrics “wrote my way out” are centrical to the song “Hurricane,” an essential turning point in the life of Hamilton and in the show. Others of these songs have been written by expanding on key themes or important lyrics of the show. “Immigrants we get the job done” is a line taken directly from the song “Yorktown” in the Broadway show, which was expanded into the Mixtape track by K’NAAN.

Of the songs not currently in the Broadway show, the track “Congratulations,” performed by Dessa, is my favorite because it gives listeners a better picture of Angelica’s reaction to the Reynolds scandal. Despite Angelica’s getting a quick opportunity in “The Reynolds Pamphlet” to tell off Alexander for cheating on her sister, this opportunity seems a bit rushed. “Congratulations” gives listeners further insight into the complexity of Angelica’s mind and the depth of her emotions following the affair.

Although the musical Hamilton has already had a massive impact on audiences, the Hamilton Mixtape will only extend its influence to new audiences, most likely those that are fans of the artists featured on the album. I predict that the Hamilton Mixtape will do very well in sales and that other musicals will make the same type of album in the near future. As a huge fan of the musical, I had high expectations for the Mixtape, and I am happy to say that my expectations were met. My favorite track on the album is “Satisfied,” performed by Sia, Miguel, and Queen Latifah, because it takes the lyrics from “Satisfied” on the Cast Recording and adds a new, refreshing pop spin on a song I already love.

I would definitely recommend this album to anyone who loves Hamilton, theater-goers, or those who enjoy collaborative compilation albums. I would give this album an 8.5 out of 10 because it captures the spirit of the musical while broadening its audience by expanding into new genres.

As a huge fan of Hamilton and all things theater, I was excited and a bit nervous about the release of the Hamilton Mixtape, but after hearing the album, I really enjoyed it. I think you will too!