Answer | Teen Ink

Answer

December 21, 2018
By just-in SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
just-in SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
5 articles 1 photo 0 comments

BTS, the kings of Korean pop, has captivated the world once again with their final installation of the Love Yourself series, Love Yourself: Answer. Concluding their former blockbuster hit albums Her and Tear, Answer introduces a variety of tracks, both old and new. The band’s album presents the themes of love, self-esteem, and success, which are prevalent aspects in the lyrics of the album. Overflowing with positivity and passion, Answer delivers an astounding variety of genres, ranging from rap to pop to slow serenades, all to form a sole euphonic masterpiece.

BTS, also known as the Bangtan Boys, consists of seven members: V, Jungkook, Rap Monster, Jin, Jimin, J-Hope, and Suga. The band is a global influence and boasts an extensive list of accolades despite its humble origins from South Korea. Answer is BTS’s second No. 1 album on the Billboard charts and was recently presented to the world’s leading political figures at the United Nations General Assembly. Answer has almost a quarter million traditional album sales, and its title track, “Idol,” has over a quarter billion views on Youtube to date. The album itself exhibits 14 older and remixed songs that correlate with the theme and debuts 10 new tracks; Answer also features several celebrities, such as singer Nicki Minaj, American rapper Desiigner, and musician Steve Aoki.

The group introduced the album in the summer of 2018, which brought a prodigious ending to the Love Yourself campaign. However, one of the aspects that made Answer such a unique and astounding album compared to its predecessors was the profound and intense lyrics that evoke emotion, fervor, and sorrow within the audience. For example, BTS’s hit song “DNA” contributed its vibrant tone and explosive vibe as well as a timeless message of love and fate. Jungkook and Jin, the two main vocalists, lent their melodic voices to help the popular and percussive track radiate the positivity within the lyrics. Rap Monster sings, “You are my destiny/you are my dream/Take it, take it/ My hand reaching to you, is my destiny.” In the fast-paced hip-hop song “Tear,” Suga raps, “Woo take it easy, slowly cut out my heart/Step on the pieces that were broken apart/So no other feelings will remain/My heart’s shredded into pieces, just set it on fire.” Such lyrics emphasize the depth and meaning BTS conceals in the album, and also illustrates the effort required for Answer to become such a beloved and heartwarming album.

Passion, confidence, and prosperity are some of the many ubiquitous themes presented in the tracks featured in Answer. However, the vocals and instrumentals influence how the songs are portrayed by altering the tone and mood of the music. In BTS’s record-breaking melodic masterpiece “Idol,” the message of self-esteem and success is displayed through the sanguine and astounding lyrics which explain BTS’s growth as a successful band. The song is a carnival full of rhythms, featuring African beats, and Korean instrumentals. The rollicking beats and vivid tempo guide the track towards its energetic and dynamic message. Much to the contrary, J-Hope’s sequel single, “Airplane Pt.2,” devotes to the same theme of achievement and effort, but his European inspired lyrics take on a more mysterious and exotic taste.

Answer is an exquisite album containing the most meticulously detailed lyrics, which narrates BTS’s ardent story of success. BTS has set a new level of expectation in the music industry through their fantastic work of art, and will no doubt yield many more unbelievable pieces. Sporting concordant tunes, mesmerizing vocals, and captivating rhythms, Answer is guaranteed to leave you singing along with your new favorite album.