Weezer's Beach-Themed Masterpiece | Teen Ink

Weezer's Beach-Themed Masterpiece

August 12, 2018
By leo-s64 GOLD, Seattle, Washington
leo-s64 GOLD, Seattle, Washington
15 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
You take your car to work, I'll take my board. And when you're out of fuel, I'm still afloat - Rivers Cuomo


The 2010’s marked something of a comeback for Southern California alt-rockers, Weezer. Their ninth album, Everything Will Be Alright In The End, returned to the rock roots of the band’s iconic early albums, Patrick Wilson was back on drums during live performances, and the band went on a tour in 2011 and 2012 playing their two incredible 90’s albums (The Blue Album and Pinkerton) cover to cover. Everything was alright in Weezerville. But the highlight of this pseudo-comeback came in the form of a self-titled release in 2016, colloquially known as the White Album.

For the first time in their 24-year-long careers, Weezer delivered a beach-themed album. The gorgeous album art showcases the four members of the band standing in front of a beach lifeguard tower, with a beautiful white aesthetic. Many of the songs’ subjects involve summertime and the beach, though some take a darker approach than one might expect. Weezer took what worked with Everything Will Be Alright In The End, and improved upon it. The lyrics are darker, the instrumentation is more complex and impactful, and the songs are improved overall from its predecessor.

Many songs on the White Album sound like they would be at home in a 90’s Weezer album, but many do not. At all. But that is in no way a bad thing. “Thank God For Girls” is the first song that comes to mind. The song is different from anything that Weezer had produced previously. It prominently features a piano, like many songs on this record, and the lyrics are bizarrely catchy. When I first listened to this album this song stuck out like a sore thumb. I didn’t like it all; I thought it was obnoxious, weird, and the outlier on the album.

But after some time has passed, “Thank God For Girls” has become one of my favorite songs on the White Album. The song is more “poppy” than classic Weezer, but it’s done in an interesting way that makes the song get stuck in my head for weeks. The lyrics are bizarre, and it does stick out on the album, but in the best ways possible. Although I may not be able to fully comprehend what singer-songwriter Rivers Cuomo is saying, he delivers the lyrics with such emotion, that it makes me care about the story he’s telling. The weird religious undertones add to the confusion, but the unique instrumentation and emotional delivery of lyrics makes “Thank God For Girls” stand out as one of my favorite songs on this album.

“Jacked Up” is another unique song that stands out as not being necessarily a throwback to Weezer’s older music. The lead instrument in this song is also a piano, and Rivers Cuomo reaches heights with his voice never before seen in Weezer music. The piano chords make the song seem incredibly dark and moody. Again, the lyrics are confusing, but the chords mixed with the high octaves that Cuomo reaches, give off dark vibes that stick with me after listening to this song.

I’ve discussed some songs on the White Album that are not reminiscent of Weezer’s older records, but what makes this album a throwback to classic Weezer? Two songs that come to mind are “California Kids” and “King Of The World.” Both of these feature power chord filled choruses in classic Weezer fashion, but they manage to be fresh and new at the same time. “King of the World” tells an intriguing story inspired by Cuomo’s wife. This type of story is one that would never have been heard on a 90’s Weezer album. The instrumentation in both of these songs verses is very clean and unique, something that is unique to this album. Weezer manages on the White Album to create songs like “California Kids” and “King of the World” that are reminiscent of their older, classic records, while still remaining fresh and unique.

Pinkerton is my favorite Weezer album (that you can read about here) and there is one song on this album that specifically seems to be calling back to that style of Weezer music. “Do You Wanna Get High?” is performed with crunchy distorted guitars and darker vibes that sound like they could come straight off of the band’s legendary 1998 release. Many of the songs on the White Album are heavily reminiscent of Pinkerton, but “Do You Wanna Get High?” is a song that would not be out of place on the record, while still somehow retaining a beach vibe that surrounds the White Album.

The closer track on the White Album is something that I’d like to discuss. “Endless Bummer” is an acoustic ballad of sorts with a tone that perfectly caps off this beach-themed record. The lyrics are melancholic in a way that they expertly encapsulate the mood of the White Album. Some songs on this album are upbeat and happy, like “(Girl We Got A) Good Thing), while some are darker and more ominous (“Jacked Up”). “Endless Bummer” works to combine these two moods into one package, wonderfully tying together all of the themes on this wonderful album.

Weezer’s fourth self-titled record utilizes a beach theme, never before seen in a Weezer album. Rivers Cuomo’s unique, confusing style of lyrics makes for impactful songs when combined with the strong instrumentation from the rest of the four-piece group.  The White Album is a close second behind Pinkerton as my favorite Weezer album. All ten songs featured on this album perfectly come together to create an engaging experience while listening to this album in full.