King Kong | Teen Ink

King Kong

March 2, 2016
By Chris_Modrak SILVER, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
Chris_Modrak SILVER, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
6 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Contains spoilers.“It was beauty that killed the beast” famous words spoken by Carl Denham in Peter Jackson's own remake to the 1933 original film “King Kong”. Peter Jackson has once again created a profound film epic, shortly after producing the famous “Lord of The Rings” series. The movie itself I think shows much promise due to the ability to entertain throughout and even possible bring some to tears, but even if it is good there is always a margin for error. I believe that the acting and directing were fantastic. Although due to the abnormal length and some unnecessary scenes, “King Kong” the movie didn’t exactly “take the whole cake”.
 

King Kong is an action packed thriller drama with many tear jerking scenes and breathtaking battles. It is the story of Carl Denham (Jack Black) a desperate movie producer who learns of a map to an uncharted island. After hiring an acting crew they set off on an exciting voyage to the island. Eventually finding themselves marooned and have to overcome deadly creatures, a 25 ft tall gorilla (King Kong) and hostile islanders. Then brutally bring back the giant ape to New York where he eventually meets his fate.


The cast of Naomi Watts, Adrien Brody,Jack black and Andy Serkis worked together very well and the way the exciquted there part was phenomenal. The character that really stood out to me was Jack Black as Carl Denham. I think this because even when Jack black is being serious he still looks funny. Also there is a scene where the crew on the island are being attacked and Carl Denham (Jack Black) tells his camera man “Give me the camera” instead of helping the man up the rocky slope. Another especially good part was King Kong (Andy Serkis).When the classic roar bellows in the distance and trees begin falling over, I suddenly recognize that there is a man doing that  roar. I believe that the all the characters shared a unique chemistry and that Andy Serkis did a spectacular job playing as CGI character.


One aspect of the movie that I wasn't entirely fond of was the 187 minute running time. I think they could have done without some not pointless, but scenes that seemed to just drag on and on to make the movie longer. Almost the entire first hour is simply explaining that Ann Darrow(Naomi Watts) is a poor actress who losses her job in New York during the great depression. I always thought that if they could have shortened this scene to make room for new material. Although to some that could have been a problem thought considering that the movie was also technically a drama and without these key scenes it would just be a monster vs monster battle.


King Kong the film is basically made up of 3 acts.The first one being in Manhattan following Ann Darrow and Carl Denham. The second being on Skull island constantly being chased by monsters. Finally the third act is back in Manhattan where they are displaying Kong to the public. The third being my personal favorite,accurately shows what society would do if a major dilemma like a giant gorilla on the loose ever occurred. This is also the scene that beholds one of if not thee most important line In the movie, “It was beauty that killed the beast” said by Carl Denham (Jack Black) after Kong is shot straight off a skyscraper in Downtown Manhattan.


“King Kong” is very well done and really shows the promising work of Peter Jackson and how he stayed true to the 1933 film.I would highly recommend to anyone who is willing to sit through the 3 hours of film and has a taste for drama and adventure.